[comp.dcom.modems] Help with MNP5 and zmodem

lupus@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Markus Wolf) (01/16/91)

Hello netlanders,

my problem is the following:

I got a 2400bps Modem with MNP5 and I want to transfer files via zmodem
to our Sun. There is a 1200bps Modem without MNP5 connected to our sun.
I can connect to the sun with my modem but I get the following in the
rzlog file when I try to transfer files to the sunmodem:

argv[0]=rz Progname=rz
mode:1
rz ready. To begin transfer, type "sz file ..." to your modem program
zshhdr: ZRINIT 27000000
zgethdr: ZRQINIT 0
zshhdr: ZRINIT 27000000
Readline:TIMEOUT
ZMODEM: Got TIMEOUT error
zgethdr: TIMEOUT 0
zshhdr: ZRINIT 27000000
Readline:TIMEOUT
ZMODEM: Got TIMEOUT error
zgethdr: TIMEOUT 0
zshhdr: ZRINIT 27000000
Readline:TIMEOUT
ZMODEM: Got TIMEOUT error
zgethdr: TIMEOUT 0
zshhdr: ZRINIT 27000000
Readline:TIMEOUT
ZMODEM: Got TIMEOUT error
zgethdr: TIMEOUT 0
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
Readline:TIMEOUT
error 5: Pathname fetch returned -1
mode:0

Can somebody out there tell me where the problem lies.

Lupus

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (01/17/91)

In article <LUPUS.91Jan16134120@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp> lupus@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Markus Wolf) writes:
>Hello netlanders,
>
>my problem is the following:
>
>I got a 2400bps Modem with MNP5 and I want to transfer files via zmodem
>to our Sun. There is a 1200bps Modem without MNP5 connected to our sun.
>I can connect to the sun with my modem but I get the following in the
>rzlog file when I try to transfer files to the sunmodem:
>
> ... log deleted ...

When a MNP modem answered a call, there is a 4 sec. MNP detection period.
Within the first 4 sec., the answering modem will send out "funny" characters
to probe the calling modem to see if the calling modem can handling MNP and
the level it can handle. If the calling modem is a MNP modem, it will chew up
the first 4 sec. of probe sequence. However, if the calling modem does not know
MNP, then the probing sequence will be sent to the program making the call.
It is probable that your calling program did not like the probing sequence or
its time out for anything legitimate is less than 4 sec.

Hope this can help!

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300