[comp.dcom.modems] Trouble w/ TB+ calling T2500 in PEP/UUCP mode

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (01/16/91)

We have several Telebit Trailblazer Plus modems and one T2500 (v7.00)
modem on various machines.  In uucp mode (S111=30) at 19200bps I can
easily call between the TB+s and from the T2500 to them.  When I try
to call from the TB+s to the T2500, the modems never finish handshaking,
the T2500 repeats the last part of the sequence (short-short-LONG-pause(2)
whitenoise(3) pause over and over).  I've set up
S7 to 60 so the calling modem doesn't time out, and added "\r\d\d\d\d\c"
to the Dialer sequence so uucico doesn't timeout waiting for the connect.
Oh, I have the register set to present PEP at the end (S92=1).

Anybody have any ideas?  How about a tech support number at Telebit?

Thanks in advance.
Dan
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (01/18/91)

Try setting S92=0 (PEP, V.25...) and see if anything changes.  If not,
there may be a problem with the calling modem hearing the answering
modem.  There is a problem with the automatic gain control (AGC) in
earlier revisions of modem firmware.  I have seen various net users
post their experiences with this problem to this group.  If this is
the problem, then the calling modem is not hearing the answering modems
tones.  Telebit Tech Support is best at dealing with this.  You can
reach them at 1-800-TELEBIT.  Good Luck!

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."

dag@fciva.FRANKCAP.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (01/20/91)

In article <38156@cup.portal.com> cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) writes:
>Try setting S92=0 (PEP, V.25...) and see if anything changes.  If not,
>there may be a problem with the calling modem hearing the answering
>modem.  There is a problem with the automatic gain control (AGC) in
>earlier revisions of modem firmware.  I have seen various net users
>post their experiences with this problem to this group.  If this is
>the problem, then the calling modem is not hearing the answering modems
>tones.  Telebit Tech Support is best at dealing with this.  You can
>reach them at 1-800-TELEBIT.  Good Luck!
>
>Cerafin E. Castillo

Well I tried setting S92=0, and started connecting.  Very Strange!  So I
called Telebit Tech Support as suggested.

Telebit had me try setting the undocumented register S120=16.  I asked him
what this register did, and he said something about V.25 and echo
suppression.

Anyways, it works.  I can now connect in PEP mode between my TB+ and my
T2500 with the latter trying PEP tones last.

Anyways, many thanks to Cerafin, (and of course to Telebit!).

Dan