[comp.dcom.modems] USR V.32BIS Trade in

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (01/16/91)

| From: km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg)
|
| US Robotics is advertising a deal allowing you trade in any manufacturer's
| high speed modem plus $545 for their new V.32BIS modem.

  This has got to be one of the worst deals I've ever heard of if true.
$545 for a trade in????  I can buy a new V.32 modem for about that price
and still keep my old modem.  And I'm sure that V.32bis modems will also
soon be in that price range as soon as a couple more vendors announce
product.

  Sheese, if they want people to switch to their modems they're going to
have to do *A LOT* better than this!

Casey

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/16/91)

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

>US Robotics is advertising a deal allowing you tradein
>any manufacturer's high speed modem plus $545 for their
>new V.32BIS modem.

>Anyone know if the $545 is discountable or not?

Nope.

And the price is $595 for a DS (which gives you v.32 as well)

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (01/16/91)

> | From: km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg)
> |
> | US Robotics is advertising a deal allowing you trade in any manufacturer's
> | high speed modem plus $545 for their new V.32BIS modem.

>   This has got to be one of the worst deals I've ever heard of if true.
> $545 for a trade in????  I can buy a new V.32 modem for about that price
> and still keep my old modem.  And I'm sure that V.32bis modems will also
> soon be in that price range as soon as a couple more vendors announce
> product.

 Is this trade-in for their Dual Standard or their Courier modem? If it
is the Courier, then it is definitely not a good deal since I have seen
the new Courier with V.32bis on sale for around $650.

--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.120544.26046@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:

| >  Sheese, if they want people to switch to their modems they're going to
| >have to do *A LOT* better than this!
|
| But USR is offering the trade in for ANY VENDORS MODEMS -
|
| ie: Trade in ANY 9600 baud modem +545 for a USR HST v.32bis
|     or ANY 9600 baud modems +595 for a USR HST DS v.32bis

  I understood that.  It's too much money.  Just because this is much
lower than the regular selling price of USR's HST and HST DS V.32bis
modems doesn't mean it's a great deal.  USR's modems are so overpriced to
begin with it's unbelievable.  You see, I wouldn't consider buying a USR
V.32bis modem outright for any more than $600.

  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I expect to see high quality
V.32bis/V.42/V.42bis modems widely available in the $400-600 range within
a couple months of the official adoption of V.32bis by CCITT.

  I think that USR, Hayes and other major manufacturers whose names are
synonymous with modems make great products.  I would be willing to pay
somewhat more for a modem from a manufacturer with a good track record,
etc., but not $300+ more.

  We're getting ready to buy *A LOT* of V.32bis modems.  We'll be
striking a deal to buy them for $500 or less.  We're not interested in
anyone we can't get down to that price level or lower.

Casey

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/17/91)

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:

>| But USR is offering the trade in for ANY VENDORS MODEMS -
>|
>| ie: Trade in ANY 9600 baud modem +545 for a USR HST v.32bis
>|     or ANY 9600 baud modems +595 for a USR HST DS v.32bis

>  I understood that.  It's too much money.  Just because this is much

oh, I agree completely

--

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (01/19/91)

>> -
>> -But USR is offering the trade in for ANY VENDORS MODEMS -
>> -
>> -ie: Trade in ANY 9600 baud modem +545 for a USR HST v.32bis
>> -    or ANY 9600 baud modems +595 for a USR HST DS v.32bis
>> -
>> ---
>> -   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
>> -                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator
>> -  {larry@nstar.rn.com, ..!uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}

> Hmmm, now let see, a person can get an HST or Courier V32bis for $599
> and a Dual Standard for $699, therefore my high-speed modem is only
> worth $55 and $105 respectively?

> I don't think so...

Well, if they will really take ANY 9600 baud modem, everyone should grab
a copy of the December '90 copy of Boardwatch magazine. Inside is an
advertisement for a proprietary 9600bd modem from a CA company called,
I think, Compucron, for only $169, this may just be for sysops. Buy this
modem and then trade it in to USR and you can get a USR DS V.32bis for
about $750. What a deal!
--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/20/91)

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) writes:

>-But USR is offering the trade in for ANY VENDORS MODEMS -
>-
>-ie: Trade in ANY 9600 baud modem +545 for a USR HST v.32bis
>-    or ANY 9600 baud modems +595 for a USR HST DS v.32bis

>Hmmm, now let see, a person can get an HST or Courier V32bis for $599
>and a Dual Standard for $699, therefore my high-speed modem is only
>worth $55 and $105 respectively?

>I don't think so...

Afraid so - contact USR yourself if you don't believe me..

--

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) writes:

>Well, if they will really take ANY 9600 baud modem, everyone should grab
>a copy of the December '90 copy of Boardwatch magazine. Inside is an
>advertisement for a proprietary 9600bd modem from a CA company called,
>I think, Compucron, for only $169, this may just be for sysops. Buy this
>modem and then trade it in to USR and you can get a USR DS V.32bis for
>about $750. What a deal!

save yourself the hassle and get the DS for $735 from several
of the discount houses..

--

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan19.202041.11683@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
[...]

What I meant by 'I don't think so...' is that I think my high speed
modem (regardless of brand) is worth more than $55-105  :)

I *do* believe you, I just don't think it is a fair deal. I know it does
not induce me.

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org