[comp.dcom.modems] Echo cancellation??

tnixon@hayes.uucp (01/24/91)

In article <gouZV2w163w@turbo.atl.ga.us>, greg@turbo.atl.ga.us (Greg
Montgomery) writes:

> Would someone mind explaining what echo cancellation is? I have a HST
> and someone mentioned that the retraining on a HST is faster because it
> doesn't have to do echo cancellation. BTW, what's retraining??

Echo cancellation is a feature of V.26ter, V.32, and V.32bis modems.
These modems use the full voice band for transmission in both
directions siultaneously.  Since you're connected to a two-wire
phone line, the modem's receiver HEARS everything that the
transmitter SENDS.  But because the modem knows what it sends and
can keep a record of it, it can subtract the transmitted signal from
the received signal.  What's left is what was sent by the remote
modem.  This process of subtracting out the transmitted signal
(including echoes produced by components of the telephone network)
is known as echo cancellation.

Retraining a modem refers to the process of stopping data flow and
putting the modems back into their initial handshake process so that
they can measure the circuit over again.  It is usually done only if
the characteristics of the circuit substantially change such that
performance is adversely affected.

An HST can retrain faster than a V.32 modem because it doesn't have
to train an echo canceller (HST uses separate low-speed and
high-speed channels on different frequencies rather than both modems
sending on the same frequencies).  But this is a very minor
consideration -- you actually very rarely retrain a V.32 modem,
because it is very rare to have your line conditions change once a
call is established. An HST modem, on the other hand, will retrain
whenever the direction of substantial data flow changes, so it's
possible to have to retrain quite frequently.  The total time of all
of these retrains can very quickly exceed the lengthier time of the
initial train of a V.32 or V.32bis modem.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404