[comp.dcom.modems] Setting up modems.

david@bacchus.esa.oz.au (David Burren) (01/23/91)

In <1991Jan21.142141.29850@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>larrys@alemap.UUCP (Larry Slavick) writes:

>>I am trying to connect a USR HST dual standard modem thats supports
>>V.42 and V.42bis to my Xenix system.  I am running SCO Xenix SysV
>>2.2.1 on a 286AT machine.

>you don't need to use the dialtbit program supplied by SCO -
>you can manually enter the dial string in the Dialers file -
>and get just as good of throughput --

Bzzzzzt.  Sorry Larry, wrong answer.  Xenix v2.2 uses V7 UUCP.  HDB UUCP
was introduced with v2.3.  The v2.2.3 system I have at home is in the same
boat, but I have the DevSys.

I'm sure someone closer to alemap.UUCP than here in Oz will be able to help,
but if not, feel free to drop me a line.

BTW, has anyone ported FAS to Xenix-286 v2.2 ?
David Burren [Athos]                          Email: david@bacchus.esa.oz.au
Software Development Engineer                 Phone: +61 3 819 4554
Expert Solutions Australia, Hawthorn, VIC     Fax:   +61 3 819 5580

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/24/91)

david@bacchus.esa.oz.au (David Burren) writes:

>>you don't need to use the dialtbit program supplied by SCO -
>>you can manually enter the dial string in the Dialers file -
>>and get just as good of throughput --

>Bzzzzzt.  Sorry Larry, wrong answer.  Xenix v2.2 uses V7 UUCP.  HDB UUCP
>was introduced with v2.3.  The v2.2.3 system I have at home is in the same
>boat, but I have the DevSys.

doesn't V7 UUCP use a dialer line to dial (L.dialers or whatever?)

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator