[comp.dcom.modems] Is there fax software if you have a USR V.32bis and a scanner.

tnixon@hayes.uucp (01/24/91)

In article <38292@cup.portal.com>, Alvin@cup.portal.com (Alvin Henry
White) writes:

> A friend asked me what he should buy with his computer budget. I got him
> a US Robotics HST DS V.32bis modem and a Wang[Ricoh] scanner with Omnipage
> OCR software.  Now he wants fax capability.  Someone indicated that it
> may be possible to get software to cause his modem to emulate a fax modem
> and his scanner produces TIF files.  I heard of one software called
> FAX IT but have not seen it.  Is it reasonable to think he has enough
> hardware or does he need to buy a fax modem also.

The USR modems do not have the V.21, V.27ter, and V.29 modulation
schemes needed to communication with a Group 3 fax machine.
Therefore, he'll need a separate fax modem.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

necka@motcid.UUCP (William J. Necka) (01/26/91)

In article <3745.279dc9b2@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

>The USR modems do not have the V.21, V.27ter, and V.29 modulation
>schemes needed to communication with a Group 3 fax machine.
>Therefore, he'll need a separate fax modem.

	While it is true that USR modems would not work with Group 3 fax
machines, they do support v.21. USR modems are marketed in various countries
outside the USA. The DUAL STD and HST both have an Sreg setting to enable
or disable v.21. The modem will by default connect to an answering v.21
modem.

      --          x                              || William Necka -
   __/  \__/\/\/\/ \____     Motorola Cellular   ||    uunet!motcid!necka
  /  \__/  \      _/ [][\_  Arligton Heights Il. || Opinions expressed are not
  \__/  \__/     (________)    708-632-4435      || necessarily my employer's.