[comp.dcom.modems] Abstracts of papers for upcoming V.fast Meeting

tnixon@hayes.uucp (01/18/91)

In a recent mailing, the Special Rapporteur for V.fast in CCITT
Study Group XVII gave the group a list of papers expected to be
presented at the upcoming meeting (6-8 Feb 1991 in Ft. Lauderdale).
The abstracts of the papers give you an idea of the kind of
proposals that are being presented.  I thought some of you might be
interested in them.

(1)  IBM/Gottfried Ungerboeck -- Two papers are in process:  (a) A
new 2-dimensional 64-state non-linear, rotationally-invariant
trellis coding scheme, which has the feature of being implemented
with varying degrees of complexity and providing coding gain ranging
from parity with the 8-state trellis coding as in V.32 to an
additional improvement of up to 1.2dB;  (b) a candidate startup
procedure using interleaved tones from opposite ends of the channel
for channel measurement and moderate (narrow-band QPSK @ 300 baud)
modulation of interleaved centrally-located tones for data
communications without the need of echo cancellation.

(2)  Telebit/John Bingham -- Two papers are in process:  (a) Echo
cancellation, both near and far end, for multicarrier signalling
combining advantages of data-driven adaptation and signal-driven
echo emulation.  In order to allow adaption in the frequency domain,
the echo part of a received signal is made to appear cyclin by tail
subtraction and cyclic echo construction.  The paper also describes
methods of compensating for frequency offset in a far echo, and for
fast initial training of the canceller in a half-duplex mode;  (b) a
draft proposal for a full-duplex multicarrier modem that operates at
speeds up to 24,000 bits per second.

(3)  Codex/David Forney -- Two papers are in process:  (a) A
single-carrier modem for V.fast: description and test results;
presents a description of and test results for an implementation of
a single-carrier high-speed duplex two-wire modem at data rates up
to 24,000 bits per second.;  (b)  originally drafted by Codex and
now sources by Codex, General Datacomm, AT&T, Octocom, Hayes, and
others, entitled Single-Carrier Modulation for V.fast; discusses the
question of single-carrier vs. multicarrier modulation, and
recommends focusing on single-carrier modulation for V.fast.

(4)  British Telecom/John Brownlie -- paper will address operating
procedures for V.fast.  The aspects considered will include start-up
times, automoding, training signals, rate signalling procedures,
bandwidth estimation, and symbol-rate changing.

(5)  Intelligent Modem Corporation/Laura Preece -- paper will
discuss an additional approach to multicarrier modulation, including
solutions for cancellation of both near- and far-end echoes, and
considerations for peak-to-average ratio and system delay.

The meeting will be lively, filled with facsinating discussions and
arguments over the various proposals and papers.  Wish you could all
be there!  It will certainly be interesting to finally see Telebit's
proposal for echo cancellation in multicarrier modulation and
Codex's proposal for single-carrier 24000 bit/s modulation (that's
synchronous bit rate, without data compression, folks).

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (01/19/91)

| From: tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon)
|
| [[Abstracts of all sorts of interesting new modem technology proposals.]]
|
| The meeting will be lively, filled with fascinating discussions and
| arguments over the various proposals and papers.  Wish you could all be
| there!  It will certainly be interesting to finally see Telebit's
| proposal for echo cancellation in multicarrier modulation and Codex's
| proposal for single-carrier 24000 bit/s modulation (that's synchronous
| bit rate, without data compression, folks).

  I wish I could be there too even though I wouldn't understand most of
the hard core engineering and signal processing issues.  (Just a software
geek.)  But two questions pop into my mind immediately:

    1.	My [naive] guess would be that multi-carrier technology would
	be a lot better than single-carrier because of multi-carrier's
	ability to adapt around bad spots in the frequency response
	spectrum.

	Since Hayes is arguing in favor of single-carrier technology
	can you give us a brief on what the arguments are in favor
	of each?

    2.	With 24Kbps, V.42bis could offer up to 96Kbps and may typically
	deliver 48Kbps.  Obviously we'll want to run our interfaces
	near that 96Kbps in order to give V.42bis a chance to deliver
	all that it can.

	What kind of interfaces are we going to use that will operate at
	that rate?  I don't think that we can expect to push that old
	war hound EIA-232 that far.  Perhaps this will provide the
	impetuous for EIA-422 (or is it 423?) to start appearing as
	standard equipment in personal computers, terminals, etc.
	Are there interface chips that can operate at this speed and
	take most of the load off of the CPU?  (DMA output and SILOed
	input.)

Casey

tnixon@hayes.uucp (01/24/91)

In article <89753@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey
Leedom) writes:

>     1.	My [naive] guess would be that multi-carrier technology would
> 	be a lot better than single-carrier because of multi-carrier's
> 	ability to adapt around bad spots in the frequency response
> 	spectrum.
>
> 	Since Hayes is arguing in favor of single-carrier technology
> 	can you give us a brief on what the arguments are in favor
> 	of each?

First of all, it's pretty rare to have single tone or other
impairment that affects a narrow range of frequencies.  Very rare,
in fact.  Most impairments affect a wide range of frequencies.  In a
multicarrier modem, it makes sense to be able to adaptively "turn
off" (or adjust the number of bits sent on) individual frequencies.
In a single-carrier modem, narrow-band impairments don't have much
impact, and are generally handled by the equalizer.

>     2.	With 24Kbps, V.42bis could offer up to 96Kbps and may typically
> 	deliver 48Kbps.  Obviously we'll want to run our interfaces
> 	near that 96Kbps in order to give V.42bis a chance to deliver
> 	all that it can.
>
> 	What kind of interfaces are we going to use that will operate at
> 	that rate?  I don't think that we can expect to push that old
> 	war hound EIA-232 that far.  Perhaps this will provide the
> 	impetuous for EIA-422 (or is it 423?) to start appearing as
> 	standard equipment in personal computers, terminals, etc.
> 	Are there interface chips that can operate at this speed and
> 	take most of the load off of the CPU?  (DMA output and SILOed
> 	input.)

There are two EIA standard interfaces that are likely to be
considered the choice for these higher speeds.  First is EIA-562,
which is "compatible" with EIA-232 (is an entirely unbalanced
interface).  Two connectors are defined for 562 now: a 9-pin
connector (identical to the PC AT), EIA-574, and an 8-pin modular
connectors, EIA-561.  EIA-562 has the advantage of operating with
only +5 volt supply, at up to 64000bps (but can be pushed higher).

The best choice will probably be EIA-530.  This uses the same 25- or
26-pin connector as EIA-232, but uses EIA-422 (balanced) circuits
for signals that change quickly (data, clocks) and EIA-423
(unbalanced) circuits for signals that don't change as often (DTR,
DCD, etc.)  There are companies that have driver and receiver chips
available which can be switched between 232 and 530 on the fly.  530
was designed so that drivers and receivers are in the same place as
the most commonly-used 232 circuits.

One example of a device which can take the load off the CPU for
high-speed transfer is the Hayes Enhanced Serial Port (ESP).  It has
two 16550AFNs on it, plus an 8031 microcontroller.  Both transmit
and receive have 1K-byte FIFOs, and the 8031 supports direct DMA
transfers to/from main memory.  ESP current supports only up to
38400 bps, but I suspect Hayes will come up with a new version that
supports higher speeds in the future [this is NOT a product
announcement, folks!].  There are similar buffered devices from
other companies, but most of them don't preserve backward
compatibility with existing comm software (which ESP does).

	-- Toby

--

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/27/91)

 >From: tnixon@hayes.uucp

 >The best choice will probably be EIA-530.  This uses the
 >same 25- or 26-pin connector as EIA-232, but uses EIA-422 (balanced)
 >circuits for signals that change quickly (data, clocks) and EIA-423
 >(unbalanced) circuits for signals that don't change as often
 >(DTR, DCD, etc.)

   Do we really need a mongrel serial design?  Is the cost of going whole-hog
balanced that high that we can't afford the consistency?

 >One example of a device which can take the load off the CPU
 >for high-speed transfer is the Hayes Enhanced Serial Port (ESP).
 >It has two 16550AFNs on it, plus an 8031 microcontroller.  Both
 >transmit and receive have 1K-byte FIFOs, and the 8031 supports direct
 >DMA transfers to/from main memory.

   Ah, I was wondering what those things were, thanks for the info.

 >There are similar buffered devices from
 >other companies, but most of them don't preserve backward
 >compatibility with existing comm software (which ESP does).

   Then I don't suppose that the ESP uses the 16550's DMA mode?

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!