[comp.dcom.modems] PP9600SA and V.32 questions

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (01/23/91)

A couple of questions.  The first one should be relatively easy:

	Is the Practical Peripherals 9600SA any good?  Does it adhere
well to V.32 standards?  Is it reliable?  Protocol bugs?  These things
are getting fairly cheap (under $500, anyway) and I'm tempted.  But if
they're trash, no dice.
	I'm a happy owner of a PP2400SA, so I know about warranties and
such already.  Any news relative to the 9600 would be appreciated in
e-mail.  (I searched back for articles, but found none.  I'm still
expecting that it's been beaten into the ground in the past.)

Question two:  more techie.

	I have cancellable call waiting;  if I dial *70 before a call,
it is immune to the little "beeps."  Currently, I have one of the S-
registers on the modem programmed to hang up as soon as it gets a beep,
thus killing the data connection and letting the voice call ring through.
If I have an important or expensive data connection, I just have the
computer dial *70 for me before the call.

	Obviously, this is useless under V.32 (what, line noise?  let's
ignore it and ask for a retransmit).  But if I have a "normal" line
(no MNP, no LAPM, no V.32), can I still maintain my relative "voice higher
than data" priority?  Does that S-register do its stuff if the correction
protocols are disabled?

	I know, this means I have to drop to 2400.  But in many cases, I
need to be taking care of minor stuff on the campus mainframe while
awaiting a call, and the ability to have voice calls ring through is
important to me.  Is it possible to keep it if I purchase a 9600 baud
modem?
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

tnixon@hayes.uucp (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.015246.3728@hoss.unl.edu>, ho@hoss.unl.edu
(Tiny Bubbles...) writes:

> 	I have cancellable call waiting;  if I dial *70 before a call,
> it is immune to the little "beeps."  Currently, I have one of the S-
> registers on the modem programmed to hang up as soon as it gets a beep,
> thus killing the data connection and letting the voice call ring through.
> If I have an important or expensive data connection, I just have the
> computer dial *70 for me before the call.
>
> 	Obviously, this is useless under V.32 (what, line noise?  let's
> ignore it and ask for a retransmit).  But if I have a "normal" line
> (no MNP, no LAPM, no V.32), can I still maintain my relative "voice higher
> than data" priority?  Does that S-register do its stuff if the correction
> protocols are disabled?

Perhaps you're talking about V.42 (error control) rather than V.32
(modulation).  A V.32 modem may, in fact, disconnect on a call
waiting beep -- depends upon the implementation.  The process
controlled by S9/S10 (detection of carrier loss) operates
independently of V.42 or MNP error control -- if you have error
control active and the underlying modem detects loss of carrier, the
call is terminated, pure and simple.

The best thing you can do is TRY IT.  I'll bet that most V.32 modems
will, if S9/S10 are set accordingly, disconnect on a call-waiting
interruption, even when error control is active.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (01/24/91)

In <3747.279dcc02@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

>In article <1991Jan23.015246.3728@hoss.unl.edu>, ho@hoss.unl.edu
>(Tiny Bubbles...) writes:

>> 	Obviously, this is useless under V.32 (what, line noise?  let's
>> ignore it and ask for a retransmit).  But if I have a "normal" line

>Perhaps you're talking about V.42 (error control) rather than V.32
>(modulation).  A V.32 modem may, in fact, disconnect on a call

You're right, of course, now that I think about it.  I had been reading
a manual at work for a Microcom modem which said the S10 register was
ignored on V.32 connections.  Either they're actually disabling it on
V.32 (when it may be unnecessary), or the manual meant to say V.42.

As for trying it, it's not really an option, as nobody in town offers
affordable 9600-baud modems.  Thus I'd have to get one mail-order to try
anything.  Can you imagine the face of the customer-service representative
when I tell her/him that my modem won't hang up on line noise?? :-)
--

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/27/91)

 >From: tnixon@hayes.uucp

 >A V.32 modem may, in fact, disconnect on a call
 >waiting beep -- depends upon the implementation.  The
 >process controlled by S9/S10 (detection of carrier loss)

   I cannot stress enough the trouble you'll save yourself by setting S9=12,
S10=14.  This gives your modem substantial immunity to both call waiting beeps
and false carrier detect if a Trailblazer answers the line with two tone bursts
before falling back to a single-carrier answer tone.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!