[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes Ultra Slow after DTR raise

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (01/23/91)

I have observed the following behavior on Hayes Ultra modems, but
not on other modems including Hayes 9600 V-Series:

   My software raises DTR, and immediately begins sending AT commands.
   The modem takes from 0.5 to 1.5 seconds to begin recognizing
   or even echoing commands.  If DTR was never dropped, the delay
   is not present.  Please note that the modem is NOT slow due to
   DTR DROP, because DTR has been dropped for multiple minutes.
   The modem is just slow to get started after DTR comes UP.  MR is
   lit during the period of latency.  Also, SD is flashing during
   the period of latency, to match the data I am sending to the modem.
   It has been programmed with AT&F&C1&D3&W

If the modem is not "listening" then shouldn't MR be low?
Can anyone confirm this behavior?
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/25/91)

In article <1506@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>   My software raises DTR, and immediately begins sending AT commands.
>   The modem takes from 0.5 to 1.5 seconds to begin recognizing
>   or even echoing commands...

I'll bet the first command your software is sending is ATZ, causing the
modem to go through a 1-2 second reset.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (01/28/91)

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) writes:

>In article <1506@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>>   My software raises DTR, and immediately begins sending AT commands.
>>   The modem takes from 0.5 to 1.5 seconds to begin recognizing
>>   or even echoing commands...

>I'll bet the first command your software is sending is ATZ, causing the
>modem to go through a 1-2 second reset.

My thanks to the many people who have suggested this.  In fact, the first
command my software is sending is AT&F.  But, before you say, "Well, that
must be it," let me further explain that the modem is ignoring
THIS command unless I delay for a few seconds after DTR comes up.

Toby (of Hayes) has suggested that I take this up offline with Hayes supt.,
and I think that is probably appropriate.  I was mostly interested in
finding out if other people had noticed the timing difference.