[comp.dcom.modems] Intel Modem Offer

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (01/31/91)

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:

> If Hayes is so bulletproof, do they offer a five-year warranty such as
> Practical Peripherals does?  Modem gets hit by lightening on the fourth year
> and 360 days after you bought it?  PP will replace it.

Dunno what's on paper (couldn't fit in the RJ-11:-), but do know that Hayes has
often *done* that for me and for others many many times, replaced a part on an
ancient 1200 *over* five years old.  And they paid for the postage (even though
I offered).  And I know that they have done this specifically for lightening
hits, though not for me (we have almost no lightening on the Left Coast).

But, on the other hand, I do not think I would use the term 'rock solid', as
has been done here, for anything tbey have made since the SM1200.  The SM2400
was not up to snuff, and the USR Courier is preferable at that speed for
reliability, noisy lines, ...  The V Series was the most abominable marketing
sleaze, and got Hayes a reputation that may yet kill them.  I have not
personally used the Ultras, so will not comment (after the V Series, most folk
would not touch a Hayes).

But I have used Practical Peripherals kit, and understand why folk might call
Hayes 'rock solid' in comparison.  I would put PP in the tin-can-and-a-string
category, along with Zoom, Everex, PopComm, ...  If someone gives you one of
this lot, give it to your neighbor's teenager to call Commodore BBSs.

IMAO and experience:

  At 1200 nothing came close to a Hayes.  But you probably are not starting a
  modem museum.  If perchance you are, get one.  They were a truely great
  modem.

  At 2400, try a USR, though MultiTech and a few others seem ok if you don't
  get the ones with all the bells and whistles.

  At V.32, wait a few months.  They all still have problems.  But if you're
  anxious, get an Intel.  At $400 you're not out on a limb very far, it's a
  very good V.32 (and below) modem, they support the hell out of it, but it has
  a feature or two that needs adjustment.

  For V.32bis, expect them to take 6-9 more months to get ironed out (look at
  how long it has taken to iron out the V.32 implementations).

  For uucp, get a Telebit.

  For high speed BBSing strictly within North America, if you don't care about
  longevity, standards, or interoperability with V.32, get a USR HST.

Warning:
  I have been a paid consultant to and beta test[ed] for modem manufacturers
  (who I have slammed above!).  I use these things more heavily than most, and
  for overseas connections as well as domestic, so may be more critical than
  JRL.  I have a well-deserved reputation as a crusty and picky @hole.
--
..!{uunet,qiclab,intelhf,bucket}!m2xenix!news