[comp.dcom.modems] Apple modem?

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (01/30/91)

     Does anyone know whether the "Apple modem", which one of our customers
has connected to their Mac, uses "AT"-style commands?  If not, can someone
please point me at information about how to talk to it?

                                                  Dave

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/30/91)

In a letter to All, Dave Gillett (dgil@pa.reuter.COM ) wrote:

 >     Does anyone know whether the "Apple modem", which one
 >of our customers
 >has connected to their Mac, uses "AT"-style commands?  If
 >not, can someone
 >please point me at information about how to talk to it?

   If I remember correctly, the Apple Modem is basically Hayes compatible
(e.g., it uses the AT command set), but it isn't 100% compatible with the Hayes
Smartmodem 1200.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/30/91)

>     Does anyone know whether the "Apple modem", which one of our customers
>has connected to their Mac, uses "AT"-style commands?

I bought an Apple-label modem in 1984.  It used the Hayes (AT) command set.
Unless your customer's modem is older than that, it's safe to assume the
(minimal, at least) Hayes command set.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

drmath@moocow.UUCP (Doctor Math) (01/31/91)

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:

>      Does anyone know whether the "Apple modem", which one of our customers
> has connected to their Mac, uses "AT"-style commands?  If not, can someone
> please point me at information about how to talk to it?

If you're talking about the old-style "Apple" modem (300/1200 only),
it does indeed use AT-style commands, although a limited set (i.e. just
enough to be compatible). For example, S11 can't be set to anything other
than 70ms. I have yet to notice any serious problems. The new Apple 2400b
modems (MNP5) are a little better about this.

*** Doctor Math

Disclaimer: I don't have a job, therefore my opinions are worthless.