[comp.dcom.modems] HST implementation of V.32/V.32bis

whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) (02/01/91)

I am trying to understand the differences between HST and the
V.32/V.32bis standards.  I understand that HST does not have
echo cancellation, and instead uses a low speed channel for
full duplex operation.  I also gather that HST can change the
high speed channel from the caller to receiver by retraining.

I am still fuzzy on the following:

1.  Does HST high speed channel use V.32 modulation specs for
constellation mapping and Trellis decode algorithms?

2.  What are the specifics of the low speed channel?  I assume that
it is an FSK channel, and if so, what are the mark and space frequencies?
Is it correct that the 9600 uses a 300 baud channel and the 12000 uses
a 450 baud channel?  Do both have the same mark and space frequencies?

3.  Are there any other modem manufacturers that are implementing
pseudo-CCITT implementations of V.32/V.32bis?  It seems like folks
are jumping through all kinds of hoops to avoid echo cancellation and
Trellis code implementations.

4.  Is the HST modem popular enough to worry about, or will it vanish
once V.32/V.32bis catch on?

Thanks.
Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <...!mcnc!aurgate!whitcomb>
(919) 850-6231                       I'm not a software engineer,
Raleigh, NC                          but I play one on TV.

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (02/01/91)

In article <59490@aurs01.UUCP> whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) writes:

>4.  Is the HST modem popular enough to worry about, or will it vanish
>once V.32/V.32bis catch on?

My understanding that the HST is *very* popular with the BBS types,
particularly because of USRobotics sysop program.  However, I've noticed
that many sysops are speed freaks and as such buy the latest and greatest
technology ASAP.  I believe many are/will be moving to USR Dual Standard
modems to get the higher transfer rates but retain the HST compatability.
But this is only semi-knowledgable speculation on my part.

cheers,
 -chip

* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>

wallach@motcid.UUCP (Cliff H. Wallach) (02/02/91)

-
-I am still fuzzy on the following:
-
-1.  Does HST high speed channel use V.32 modulation specs for
-constellation mapping and Trellis decode algorithms?

	Yes.

-
-2.  What are the specifics of the low speed channel?  I assume that
-it is an FSK channel, and if so, what are the mark and space frequencies?
-Is it correct that the 9600 uses a 300 baud channel and the 12000 uses
-a 450 baud channel?  Do both have the same mark and space frequencies?

	The low speed channel uses phase shift keying, with 3 bits/baud.
	The earliest HST had a 300 bps backchannel.  After a year the
	450 bps backchannel was added to the 9600 HST.

	backchannel	300	450
	-----------	---	---
	baud rate	100	150
	carrier freq	350	375		(I may be off here)

-
-3.  Are there any other modem manufacturers that are implementing
-pseudo-CCITT implementations of V.32/V.32bis?

	Yes.

-						  It seems like folks
-are jumping through all kinds of hoops to avoid echo cancellation and
-Trellis code implementations.

	The echo cancellation requires a lot of DSP time.  This
	translates into an extra DSP chip.

-
-4.  Is the HST modem popular enough to worry about, or will it vanish
-once V.32/V.32bis catch on?

	Over 100k are out there.  Sales have steadily increased.
	Only recently have V22bis modems surpassed Bell 212a modems
	in volume.

-
-Thanks.

	You are welcome.

Cliff Wallach				...uunet!motcid!wallach

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/03/91)

Whitcomb) writes:

> 1.  Does HST high speed channel use V.32 modulation specs for
> constellation mapping and Trellis decode algorithms?

Yes.  The HST modulation, like Hayes' fast-turnaround ping-pong
modulation in the V-series Smartmodem 9600, uses the constellation
and trellis coding of V.32 at 4800 and 9600; the HST uses the same
constellation and trellis coding as V.32bis at 7200, 12000, and
14400 (in fact, the text describing these modulations that was used
in the V.32bis standard was taken from the old "V.asym" draft
asymmetrical modem standard, which had been submitted by US
Robotics).

> 2.  What are the specifics of the low speed channel?  I assume that
> it is an FSK channel, and if so, what are the mark and space frequencies?
> Is it correct that the 9600 uses a 300 baud channel and the 12000 uses
> a 450 baud channel?  Do both have the same mark and space frequencies?

No, it is not FSK, but PSK.  The 450bps reverse channel is 150 baud
using 8 phase states to send 3 bits per baud.  The carrier frequency
is 375 +/- 1 Hz.  The 9600 did use a 300bps reverse channel; I think
it was 100 baud, 8 phase.

> 3.  Are there any other modem manufacturers that are implementing
> pseudo-CCITT implementations of V.32/V.32bis?  It seems like folks
> are jumping through all kinds of hoops to avoid echo cancellation and
> Trellis code implementations.

As I mentioned above, the Hayes V-series Smartmodem 9600 uses a
fast-turnaround ping-pong half-duplex modulation scheme that uses
the same constellation and trellis coding as V.32.  These two are
the only non-standard high-speed modems I'm aware of that have even
this in common with V.32. When these modems were designed, real V.32
modems cost $2,500+, due to the extreme high cost of implementing an
echo canceller with technology that existed then.  Since then, the
cost of implementing echo cancellation has plummeted, and I doubt
that you'll see many new modems being developed that are
non-standard.  The HST and V-series will continue to be sold for at
least a while, particularly in "dual standard" implementations such
as the Ultra 96, for customers who require backward compatibility
with their installed base of non-standard modems.

> 4.  Is the HST modem popular enough to worry about, or will it vanish
> once V.32/V.32bis catch on?

"Vanish" is a strong word, but I suspect you'll see fewer and fewer
non-standard high-speed modems of all types being sold in the
future.  It just makes so much more sense to stick with a real
international standard.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404