[comp.dcom.modems] Help: Why MNP5?

jching@watnow.waterloo.edu (John Y. Ching) (01/19/91)

I am looking for a 2400 baud modem for my pc and a salesman insisted that I
need a modem with MNP5.  I have a relatively low budget and would like to
know if I really have to pay extra for MNP5.  Most of my communication would
be long-distance.
Thanks.

 John Y. Ching (jching@watnow.waterloo.edu)      | "Thought without Learning is
 Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence Group |  Useless;  Learning without
 Department of Systems Design Engineering        |  Thought is Dangerous."

steven@ozonebbs.UUCP (Steven Rubin) (01/23/91)

jching@watnow.waterloo.edu (John Y. Ching) writes:

> I am looking for a 2400 baud modem for my pc and a salesman insisted that I
> need a modem with MNP5.  I have a relatively low budget and would like to
> know if I really have to pay extra for MNP5.  Most of my communication would
> be long-distance.
> Thanks.

I think MNP would be a BIG mistake.  If you transfer alot of GIFS and other
compressed data, the MNP compression would just make everything take alot
longer.

---
Steven Rubin
E-Mail: steven%ozonebbs@netcom.uucp
 Snail: 3670 Rollingside Dr, San Jose, CA 95148-2822
 Phone: +1 408 238 2818, +1 408 223 1738 (bbs)
Disclaimer: My mommy told me not to talk to strangers
 (Note: The FROM: line is incorrect, use steven%ozonebbs@netcom.uucp)

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan18.194613.13435@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, jching@watnow.waterloo.edu (John Y. Ching) writes:
> I am looking for a 2400 baud modem for my pc and a salesman insisted that I
> need a modem with MNP5.  I have a relatively low budget and would like to
> know if I really have to pay extra for MNP5.  Most of my communication would
> be long-distance.
> Thanks.

It will only help if you are communicating with another MNP5 modem on
the other end.

I use an MNP5 modem, and I like it for downloading long ASCII files from
a local Fidonet board, because it has a compatible modem, and I can
get 30-40% higher throughput.  I also like it for my MCI Mail activity
when I have to upload or download long files.

For many things that I do, it is not appropriate, either because the
modem at the other end is not compatible, or because I am downloading
compressed program files that do not benefit from compression like plain
text files do.

It also has the advantage of having better noise immunity, but again,
only when talking to another MNP compatible modem.

Tad Cook
Seattle, WA
Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544
Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
or, tad@ssc.UUCP

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan27.160653.7104@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Sorry - but incorrect with MNP5.  MNP5 over a 2400 baud connection
>if properly installed will produce transfer rates of 280 cps even
>sending GIFs and ZIPs

I find this *VERY* difficult to believe.  GIF's are already LZW
compressed and so in general cannot be further compressed by *ANY* one
dimmensional digital compression method I am aware of without data
loss.  If the MNP modems are really running a 2400 baud link, 280cps
seems impossible.  The theoretical max for 2400 baud is something like
266cps (8 data + 1 stop) and anything higher would require compression
and as I said, I don't believe you can compress a GIF => 280cps
impossible.  My theory tends to agree with my experience with MNP
modems as well; in fact they tend to do only slightly better for me
than normal old Hayes 2400's on ascii transfers.  The protocol does
seem to adversly affect turnaround time during interactive work for
some strange reason (my guess is it's due to sampling for
compression).  Also, when one MNP modem connects to another MNP modem
and one has MNP turned on and the other has it off, it's been my
experience that you get only garbage.  Both can talk to non-MNP modems
fine.  They can only talk to each other if they both have MNP off or
both on (this experience has been with Microcom's; the inventors of
MNP).  The only thing good I have to say about MNP is that it does tend
to allow less line noise through.

--Bill Davidson

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (01/28/91)

In article <15126@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
In article <1991Jan27.160653.7104@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

Larry> MNP5 over a 2400 baud connection if properly
Larry> installed will produce transfer rates of 280 cps even
Larry> sending GIFs and ZIPs

Bill> I find this *VERY* difficult to believe...280cps seems
Bill> impossible.  The theoretical max for 2400 baud is
Bill> something like 266cps (8 data + 1 stop) and anything
Bill> higher would require compression...

Get a clue, Bill.  Larry said he got 280 cps using MNP5 from
experience.  So have I.  None of your "beliefs" will affect that.

In particular, "perfect" 2400 bps, 8,n,1 transimission
achieves 240 cps; 1 start bit, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit.
By stripping start and stop bits, the data rate can reach a
theoretical 300 cps (240 * 10/8).  Add protocol overhead,
and a little bit of file expansion due to trying to compress
pre-compressed data and you're in the neighborhood of 280
cps.

Note that we're talking about MNP *5* here.

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson, St. Olaf College) (01/29/91)

In article <0cD8V3w163w@ozonebbs.UUCP> steven@ozonebbs.UUCP (Steven Rubin) writes:

   jching@watnow.waterloo.edu (John Y. Ching) writes:

   > I am looking for a 2400 baud modem for my pc and a salesman insisted that I
   > need a modem with MNP5.  I have a relatively low budget and would like to
   > know if I really have to pay extra for MNP5.  Most of my communication would
   > be long-distance.
   > Thanks.

   I think MNP would be a BIG mistake.  If you transfer alot of GIFS and other
   compressed data, the MNP compression would just make everything take alot
   longer.

I think that MNP5 would be a GOOD idea.  Since you are going to be
mainly going long distance, anything that could save some transmission
time will save you money.  MNP5 can give aprox %80 faster throughput
on text-based transfers.  On other transfers the throughput could be
less, but would still provide some increase in throughput in most
circumstances.  The extra cost is usually only $50 or so more - well
worth the investment.

If the compression technique actually increases the transfer time, as
it might in cases where the material being transfered is already
compressed.  If this is the case, you can turn off the MNP5
compression for the transfer, reversing (to the throughput of a normal
2400 bps modem) the throughput decrease.

		-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
  DDN: [CDS6]	INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu	UUCP: swansonc@stolaf

ch@dce.ie (Charles Bryant) (01/29/91)

In article <15126@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
>In article <1991Jan27.160653.7104@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>Sorry - but incorrect with MNP5.  MNP5 over a 2400 baud connection
>>if properly installed will produce transfer rates of 280 cps even
>>sending GIFs and ZIPs
>
>I find this *VERY* difficult to believe.  GIF's are already LZW
>compressed and so in general cannot be further compressed by *ANY* one
>dimmensional digital compression method I am aware of without data
>loss.  If the MNP modems are really running a 2400 baud link, 280cps
>seems impossible.  The theoretical max for 2400 baud is something like
>266cps (8 data + 1 stop) and anything higher would require compression
>and as I said, I don't believe you can compress a GIF => 280cps
>impossible.

When MNP level 3 is used, the data is sent synchronously so no start or
stop bits are required. The raw throughput is therefore 2400/8 = 300.
Normally an MNP modem will allow the compression to be disabled which may
result in an increase in throughput for data that cannot be compressed by
MNP5. If another protocol is run on top of MNP (e.g. XMODEM) the
throughput may be reduced by MNP2/3/4 because a small extra delay must be
added (the whole packet must arrive before the CRC can be examined).
--
Charles Bryant (ch@dce.ie)
--

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (01/29/91)

Bill, I routinely got 285 cps file transfers using Ymodem-g between two
PP2400/MNP5 modems. Both ends of the connection had port speeds locked at 9600
baud. I was on a Mac running ZTerm, the other end was a PC with TBBS.  Didn't
matter what kind of file; 285 cps was the fastest we could go.  This was with
compression on or off.
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!pj            | RTFD = Read The Silly Doc! |
| INET: pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org                     |                            |

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan27.160653.7104@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Sorry - but incorrect with MNP5.  MNP5 over a 2400 baud connection
>if properly installed will produce transfer rates of 280 cps even
>sending GIFs and ZIPs

According to the periodic FAQ, MNP 5 slows things down compared to
just running MNP 4 for precompressed files... V.42bis automatically
detects precompression and lets it go through without the compression
overhead.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson, St. Olaf College) (01/31/91)

Whomever set up one of the MNP5 modems up that you had problems with
really screwed up.  MNP5 defines a method for negotiating between two
MNP5 modems what kind of connection is to be used.  If one of the
modems had compression strictly disabled, then the other modem should
have stepped down to the disabled modems capability level.  If that
did not happen, then the second modem had compression forced on (most
MNP5 modems have 3 settings, 1-No compression ever, 2-compression if
the other modem can handle it, and 3-compression no matter what).  It
seems as that whomever set-up the modem that was using compression set
it up in "mode 3", a very stupid move; either that or the hardware was
broken or the firmware did not impliment the MNP5 protocol correctly.
Either way that is not cause to blame the protocol it self.

	-Chris

--

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/03/91)

In article <3455@d75.UUCP>, woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:

>>Sorry - but incorrect with MNP5.  MNP5 over a 2400 baud connection
>>if properly installed will produce transfer rates of 280 cps even
>>sending GIFs and ZIPs
>
> According to the periodic FAQ, MNP 5 slows things down compared to
> just running MNP 4 for precompressed files... V.42bis automatically
> detects precompression and lets it go through without the compression
> overhead.

MNP4 is capable of throughput of about 292cps (2400/8 bits per
character = 300cps, then you subtract for protocol overhead [7 bytes
of overhead for every 256 bytes of user data]).  MNP5's _average_
token length is 9 bits, which means that on _completely_ random
data, MNP5 sends an average of 9 bits per character instead of 8 --
but this is still less than the 10 bits per character of "pure"
async.  MNP5 would therefore, worst case, send only 260cps on random
files.  It is rare to find a precompressed file that is "totally"
random, so slightly better throughput might be possible, but I doubt
you'd see 280 -- but maybe so.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (02/06/91)

TB> MNP5 would therefore, worst case, send only 260cps on random files.
TB> It is rare to find a precompressed file that is "totally" random,
TB> so slightly better throughput might be possible, but I doubt you'd
TB> see 280 -- but maybe so.

Actually, when talking between two 2400 baud Practical Peripherals modems
running MNP5 with Macintosh 'StuffIt' compressed files, Ymodem-g regularly
gave me 285 cps.  Hardware handshaking in effect, TBBS system on a PC on the
far end.  I like that alot.

Of course the PP9600 is a heck of a lot MORE fun...if I could just get it to
talk LAPM reliably with a Telebit T2500...:-(