[comp.dcom.modems] T2500 has nasty hum

chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) (01/30/91)

My recently purchased a Telebit T2500 appears to put a nasty
hum   on the   phone   line.  Briefly, when    there  are no
connections to the modem except the phone line, all is fine.
If the  power xformer and/or the RS-232  cable is hooked up,
the hum appears.  Turning off the  power  switch on the back
of the modem does not change anything. If  I place the modem
on the line and  "listen  in" the  hum is  unbearable, which
makes me think that it  is coming from the  analog circuitry
inside.

Further  inspection  of   the [AC]  wiring  in the  vicinity
revealed that  the outlets in use  were  ungrounded. I moved
all of the line plugs from  the computer, modem, and monitor
into the same outler  strip, which helped a little. Plugging
the strip into a grounded outlet helped a bit more,  but did
not eliminate  the  problem. Telebit  tech  support [one day
turn-around by e-mail, BTW  ;-)] had no further  suggestions
beyond grounding.

Before  I make the assumption  that something is broken, I'd
like to hear the experiences of other  T2500 users. Does/did
yours have  this problem, and  if so, how did you  solve it?
Of course, any suggestions from telecom-guru-land are always
welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

--
chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov, ...!uunet!asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov!chris, PITCH::CHRIS

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (01/31/91)

In article <CHRIS.91Jan29153400@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov>, chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) writes:
> My recently purchased a Telebit T2500 appears to put a nasty
> hum   on the   phone   line.  Briefly, when    there  are no
> connections to the modem except the phone line, all is fine.
> If the  power xformer and/or the RS-232  cable is hooked up,
> the hum appears.  Turning off the  power  switch on the back
> of the modem does not change anything. If  I place the modem
> on the line and  "listen  in" the  hum is  unbearable, which

May be that the phone line xfmr in the modem has an inter winding short.
Providing anything that acts like even a half baked ground to the
modem is them hooking that to the phone line. Doesn't need to be the xfmr,
and could even be some surge/static suppression device on the line
in the modem is shorted (maybe while doing its job). If you have a
VERY GOOD 110v to 110v isolation xfmr that allows NOT grounding the secondary,
try running the modem AND a connected terminal both from the xfmr.

Many TV repair shops use such an xfmr just to keep themselves from getting
killed working on 'hot-chassis' sets.

mark@runx.oz.au (Mark Webster) (02/07/91)

In article <CHRIS.91Jan29153400@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov> uunet!media!thanatos!steve= writes:
>My recently purchased a Telebit T2500 appears to put a nasty
>hum   on the   phone   line.  Briefly, when    there  are no
>connections to the modem except the phone line, all is fine.

There are two jumpers near the phone line at the rear. Move them
across to the other position. They are grounding one side of the phone
line.  (See T2500 appendix P F-3)

--
Mark Webster, PO Box 222, Wahroonga NSW 2076, AUSTRALIA   Phone: +61 2 487 1299