[comp.dcom.modems] Procomm Plus and the 16550 UART

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (02/07/91)

  Does anyone know how to get Procomm Plus, either 1.1B or the new 2.0,
to work with the 16550? When I enable the buffer on the 16550, Procomm
will display a random amount of data before the screen "freezes". My
modem will continue to push data though the serial port but Procomm will
not echo any of the data or any modem commands on the screen. On file
transfers, Procomm will act as if the sending end has stopped. However,
Procomm's ALT commands will still work. When I then disable the FIFO
buffer on the 16550, Procomm will then return to normal and display all
the incoming data before rendomly "freezing" again if I re-enable
the 16550.

  This is a problem with both 1.1B and 2.0. In 1.1B, Procomm does not
actively support the 16550 which I have to manually enable/disable.
However, the new version 2.0 will enable the 16550 automatically when
you start the program, which is a pain.

  I have checked the serial port and it is fine. I've also enabled the
16550 with Telix 3.12 which does not have any problem with a 16550 so
I've pretty much ruled out my modem as being a problem.

  Tech support at Datastorm does not have an answer although they say
that they have been getting an increasing number of questions concerning
this situation. From what I was told, Datastorm does not even have any
16550s to test with Procomm although I've been told that they will soon,
and that the problem may be in the way Procomm manages their screen
buffer. Anyway, they supposedly will get in touch with me about this by the
end of next week. If there is any interest, I will post/e-mail any
response I receive.

  In the meantime, does anyone have any positive experiences with
Procomm Plus and the 16550? Any fixes that I could try? Could it be my
modem, a PP9600SA, or serial port? I am using a NS16550AFN in a clone
ATIO card.

--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/07/91)

Eugene Wang (eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu ) wrote:
 >  In the meantime, does anyone have any positive experiences
 >with Procomm Plus and the 16550? Any fixes that I could try?
 >Could it be my modem, a PP9600SA, or serial port? I am using
 >a NS16550AFN in a clone ATIO card.

   It sounds like whoever wrote the low-level serial driver for Procomm
couldn't imagine more than one character being polled from the UART during one
interrupt (which is very sloppy even for non-buffered UARTs: a character could
easily arrive while the previous interrupt is being serviced).  If that's the
case, then you won't get the drivers to work with the 16550 in buffered mode.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me