[comp.dcom.modems] Simple Question

swv@convex.is.macsch.com (Scott Vossler) (02/06/91)

Just a simple question :

	What does 'bis' mean in the V.22bis, V.32bis and V.42bis ?

You can E-Mail your responces, however; posting your responce will allow
everyone to learn.

Thanks,
--
/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|  Scott Vossler                  | Internet : s_vossler@macsch.com          |

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.173340.12430@draco.macsch.com>,
swv@convex.is.macsch.com (Scott Vossler) writes:

> Just a simple question :
>
> 	What does 'bis' mean in the V.22bis, V.32bis and V.42bis ?

The headquarters of the CCITT is in Geneva, Switzerland, which is a
French-speaking area.  "bis" is a French term which in some
dictionaries is loosely defined as "encore" (it is, for example, the
word shouted at concerts when you want to band to play another
tune).  In the CCITT context, it means "the second in a family of
related Recommendations."  "ter" means the third, etc.  V.22bis is
very similar to V.22, but adds more bits per symbol to acheive
higher data rates; likewise with V.32 and V.32bis.  V.42bis is a
data compression scheme designed to be an extension of V.42.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (02/10/91)

In article <3771.27b08719@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
>In article <1991Feb5.173340.12430@draco.macsch.com>,
>swv@convex.is.macsch.com (Scott Vossler) writes:
>> 	What does 'bis' mean in the V.22bis, V.32bis and V.42bis ?
>
>The headquarters of the CCITT is in Geneva, Switzerland, which is a
>French-speaking area.  "bis" is a French term which in some
>dictionaries is loosely defined as "encore" (it is, for example, the
>word shouted at concerts when you want to band to play another
>tune).  In the CCITT context, it means "the second in a family of
>related Recommendations."  "ter" means the third, etc.  V.22bis is
>very similar to V.22, but adds more bits per symbol to acheive
>higher data rates; likewise with V.32 and V.32bis.  V.42bis is a
>data compression scheme designed to be an extension of V.42.

Well, my edition of the standard French dictionary, the "Larousse",
muddles this a bit. It does define "bis" as an adverb meaning
"once again"; but it says that "ter" is a Latin word.

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341