[comp.dcom.modems] V.32bis upgrading

lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird Broadfield) (02/13/91)

In <59568@aurs01.UUCP> luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) writes:
>In article <4028@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>>Does anyone know if Intel will have V.32bis support as a prom upgrade or
>>will it be a new product?

>I talked to an Engineer at Intel and as was expected, V32bis will
>require a whole new data pump (i.e. a new board).
>Therefore, expect it to be a new product. Probably under a 'new,
>improved' 9600EX but no simple way to upgrade. May be costly to upgrade,
>also (almost the price of a new modem).
>At least, that was the inference.

I talked to an engineer at PPI yesterday about this same issue wrt their
V.32 unit, and he said that they would definitely have an upgrade, *not*
a trade-in, for their unit.  They can't talk about it until bis is finally
approved, but he said it was his impression that it would be quite inexpen-
sive.  He said that it would almost certainly be a daughterboard upgrade,
and that wrt price, I should consider that they offered a daughterboard
upgrade in the past (to up another prod. to 42bis) for $45.

I made him answer the same question (phrased differently) about 4 times,
and he gave the same answers -- he seemed a pretty knowlegeable sort.

--
--  Laird P. Broadfield                        | Year after year, site after
    UUCP: {akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!lairdb  | site, and I still can't think