[comp.dcom.modems] V.32bis; Who'll have it, and when

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (02/12/91)

Two questions for the net; I'm sure that we're not the only ones
interested in the answers, so those who know, please post (or E-Mail if
you must--I'll summarize unless you tell me not to):

    Which manufacturers plan to market V.32bis modems in the next few months?

    Which manufacturers are marketing V.32 modems, and have promised to
    provide upgrades?

It would be best if we could order a pair of such modems before the end
of March, even if we have to wait a month or two for delivery. (Aren't
budget cycles fun?)

We realize the dangers of buying into leading-edge technology, but we
aren't exactly going to be replacing all our modems--just experimenting
with the technology.  But we'd be interested in your opinions or claims
for quality and support.

Thanks in advance!

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb12.033915.1977@rand.org>, edhall@rand.org (Ed
Hall) writes:

>     Which manufacturers plan to market V.32bis modems in the next few months?

Most of them, probably, especially when Rockwell starts shipping
their V.32bis chipset.  I'm aware of five that are supposedly
shipping now:  Penril, Digicom, Forval, USR, and Codex.  If anybody
knows any others, please let me know (we're trying to buy at least
one of each for compatibility/interworking testing!).

>     Which manufacturers are marketing V.32 modems, and have promised to
>     provide upgrades?

Hayes has formally announced the intention to provide an upgrade,
but hasn't announced price, availability date, or method.  Several
other manufacturers have "informally" stated similar intentions,
including Practical Peripherals, Intel, and Telebit.  Again, most
are not saying when, how, or how much.

> It would be best if we could order a pair of such modems before the end
> of March, even if we have to wait a month or two for delivery. (Aren't
> budget cycles fun?)

Unless you see formal announcements from some of these other
companies, it looks like you'll have to order from one of the five I
mentioned above.  Codex is VERY highly respected, and their V.32bis
product is surprisingly reasonably priced (compared to their
previous offerings).  Of the five now shipping, they're the one I
would pick, based on their reputation and quality of their other
products.  I'd rather have a Hayes for software compatibility and
other features (e.g. AutoSync and X.25), but that choice isn't yet
available for V.32bis unless you want to buy a V.32 and wait for an
upgrade (Hayes has committed to providing an "easy upgrade path" for
Ultra 96 users).

	-- Toby

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

pat@loft386.uucp (Patrick C. Bigelbach) (02/15/91)

We have recently purchased a MultiTech MultiModemV32 and it does
CCITT V.42, V.32, V.25bis, V.22bis, V.22, Bell 212A and 103/113.

It also does MNP classes 2, 3, 4 and 5.