[comp.dcom.modems] Do I have a modem problem?

djung@economics.adelaide.edu.au (02/15/91)

Hi.
  I am having some trouble with a new Maestro 2400 baud modem I just bought.
I get spurious rubbish on the screen every so often.  It seems to be too
regular to be line noise - besides, I doubt if the line would consistiently
be that bad.  The characters always appear in the send direction.  i.e. they
are send to the remote modem and echo'd back - I never get characters appearing
that the remote machine doesn't recieve.  My modem is the only device on the
line - there are no other phones etc.
The modem passes all it's local analog and digital loopback tests, and also
passes a remote digital loopback test (I think - I may not have left it long
enough - sometimes I don't get any errors for quite a while - then they start
up again).  I have ruled out the remote modem (tried a few different ones)
and RF interference.
  Any suggestions?  Could the modem somehow be getting out of sync?
I have it set to CCITT as I should (Australia).
All I want to know is - is the trouble 1) My modem (in which case I'll get it
replaced)
				       2) The line (seems unlikely)
				       3) The three remote modems being faulty
or incompatible (??)

Thanks in advance for any replies $'$d^%{ !

--
------------------------
David Jung             |      /// An AMIGA a day keeps the Apples away.

Russell_Gander@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Russell Gander) (02/21/91)

FSC-Control: EID:fa88 1655ac9d
I get a similar problem here in NZ. I have a Telecom network facility called
"Call-Waiting". In case you are unfamiliar, it allows a second caller to
ring in whilst you are talking to someone else (or on a modem call). The
incoming call shows up as garbage on screen in bursts of four (4) pulses.
The reason for this is the incoming call is signalled to you by a beep. You
get the beep four times only. Perhaps you are getting this each time the
person calls. I know it is most frustrating from my point of view. Trouble
is, my wife will not let me get rid of it.
Hopefully this provides a possible answer.
Regards...
>>Russell<<

--- Opus-CBCS 1.14
 * Origin: --==INFORMEX==-- New Plymouth, New Zealand. (3:771/400.0)
SEEN-BY: 771/110 170 180 220 400 772/20
FSC-Control: PATH: 771/400 170