[comp.dcom.modems] Flashing PEP light on T2500.

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (02/20/91)

I've got a T2500 and sometimes when I'm using it for an interactive
session, the PEP lights starts flashing on and off and I don't receive
anything and can't send anything.  Does anyone know why this occurs and
how I can stop it?  I couldn't find anything in the manual, but I could
have just missed it.  Any suggestions?

---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---
      Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)382-1609
               6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134
                UUCP: {fedeva,chromc,rutgers}!dynasys!jessea

billkatt@engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (02/22/91)

In article <784@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:

> I've got a T2500 and sometimes when I'm using it for an interactive
> session, the PEP lights starts flashing on and off and I don't receive
> anything and can't send anything.  Does anyone know why this occurs and
> how I can stop it?  I couldn't find anything in the manual, but I could
> have just missed it.  Any suggestions?
>
> ---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---
>       Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)382-1609
>                6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134
>                 UUCP: {fedeva,chromc,rutgers}!dynasys!jessea

Your modem is renegotiating a connection for changed line conditions.  It
may happend from time to time.  On the other hand, my T2500's (and I'm
convinced of this) do this unnecessarily when I am sending a lot of data.
I figure its a ROM bug but I'm waiting for the ROM's to settle before I
complain.
-Steve Bollinger

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (02/22/91)

In <784@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:

>I've got a T2500 and sometimes when I'm using it for an interactive
>session, the PEP lights starts flashing on and off and I don't receive
>anything and can't send anything.  Does anyone know why this occurs and
>how I can stop it?  I couldn't find anything in the manual, but I could
>have just missed it.  Any suggestions?

According to TFM, a flashing PEP light indicates that a retrain operation
(AT&R) is in progress, i.e. the two modems are re-negotiating protocols,
spoofing support, etc.  If you're not doing anything specifically to
cause this, then the remote modem is..... sounds like time for a chitchat
with the (hopefully) warm body on the other end of the phone line to
compare settings and figure out just what is going on.  A modem set for
interactive dialup shouldn't be trying to do retrains of its own accord.

Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (02/22/91)

In article <784@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>I've got a T2500 and sometimes when I'm using it for an interactive
>session, the PEP lights starts flashing on and off and I don't receive
>anything and can't send anything.  Does anyone know why this occurs and
>how I can stop it?  I couldn't find anything in the manual, but I could
>have just missed it.  Any suggestions?

The modems are retraining.  During a retrain sequence, the modems are
analyzing the phone line and can't pass data.  It used to be that you
couldn't tell when a retrain was occuring without having the speaker on
and listening to the modem noises.  Starting in version 7 firmware, the
modems will flash the PEP light during the retrain so you can tell what's
happening.  (this is in the TB+ with version 7 also)  The T2500 will flash
the CD light during a V.32 retrain sequence.  That's not documented in the
manual itself, but it is in the Version 7 Addendum on the last page.

If your modems do this a lot, it indicates that they're having trouble
with the phone line quality.  If it happens only once in a while, then
you probably don't want to make any adjustements in the modem.  Telebit
tech support can assist you if this happens too often.

--
| Greg Andrews      |   gandrews@netcom.COM |