[comp.dcom.modems] US Modems in Europe

caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) (02/21/91)

I was planning to buy a 9600 bps modem (and a fax machine) here in US
and bring it back in Italy, when I remembered that I once read that for
high speed modems ( >2400 bps ) the european standards differ from
those in US. The problem doesn't seem to lie within the telephone lines,
but just the adopted standards.

Can anyone enlight me on this? You can either post on the net or e-mail me.

Thanks a lot,

Francesco Caserta

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.222435.25871@athena.mit.edu>,
caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) writes:

> I was planning to buy a 9600 bps modem (and a fax machine) here in US
> and bring it back in Italy, when I remembered that I once read that for
> high speed modems ( >2400 bps ) the european standards differ from
> those in US. The problem doesn't seem to lie within the telephone lines,
> but just the adopted standards.

Actually it is in the LOW SPEED standards (300 and 1200) that the
USA differs from international.  We generally use Bell 103 and 212,
whereas the CCITT counterparts of V.21 and V.22.  V.21 is not at all
compatible with Bell 103 (uses entirely different frequencies); V.22
is, however, very close to Bell 212 and interworks well most of the
time.  In fact, most modems sold in the USA support both 212 and
V.22 now, and many support both V.21 and Bell 103.  At 2400bps, the
whole world (basically) uses V.22bis, and V.32 at 9600.  Likewise,
Group 3 fax is the same everywhere.

You biggest concern will not be with modulation schemes, but with
power (Italy uses 240v 50Hz, the US uses 120v 60Hz), connectors
(both the power and phone connectors are different, but you can
probably get adapters), and the design of the phone line interface.
Yes, it will probably WORK (everybody basically uses tip and ring),
especially if you use DTMF (tone) dialing (which is CCITT
standardized; pulse dialing is not).   But you may get into trouble
with the PTT there for connecting unapproved equipment.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404