[comp.dcom.modems] send fax w/o fax/modem?

xxw8409@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Fractalman) (02/19/91)

Is it possible to send fax without a special fax/modem? I'd think it'll
be possible to reprogram the modem to send out the signals required for
a fax. I have a Courier HST.

+------------+------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Fractalman | BitNet: xxw8409@ritvax | InterNet: xxw8409@ritvax.isc.rit.edu |
+------------+------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| LateNight BBS * (716) 475-3382 * 24 hours * Courier HST * Graphics & GIF's |

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb19.100119.14605@isc.rit.edu>,
xxw8409@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Fractalman) writes:

> Is it possible to send fax without a special fax/modem? I'd think it'll
> be possible to reprogram the modem to send out the signals required for
> a fax. I have a Courier HST.

Well, yes, of course it is possible to reprogram the modem to
support fax modulation -- but you can't reprogram the modem
yourself!  And wouldn't such reprogramming then make the modem "a
special fax/modem"?

I haven't heard any announcements from USR regarding their
supporting Group 3 fax modulations or TIA fax DCE command sets in
their modems.  Until they do, the only way for you to send a fax
with your modem is through an email service such as CompuServe, AT&T
Mail, or MCI Mail.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404