[comp.dcom.modems] Real cheap fax modem

marka@dsinet (Mark Anacker) (02/08/91)

Hi out there in netland...

  I got an ad recently for a dirt-cheap ($69) 2400 baud modem with G3
outgoing fax capability from some outfit called "The On-Line Store".
This is basically an internal half-card that claims to be Hayes
compatible.  I know a local organization that has an occasional need to
send a fax from their pc, and is on a tight budget.  Does anybody have
anything to say about this modem, or the company selling it?  The old
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't" adage probably
applies here, but one can always hope...

  Thanks.

jim@piggy.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) (02/09/91)

In article <488@elroy> marka@dsinet (Mark Anacker) writes:

>Hi out there in netland...

It would be nice if your software gave out addresses the rest of the
net could use.  I usually reply this this kind of a post with an
email message.  You'll get nothing but grief from the rest of the
net until this is changed.

>  I got an ad recently for a dirt-cheap ($69) 2400 baud modem with G3
>outgoing fax capability from some outfit called "The On-Line Store".

I have purchased from The On-Line Store before, since they are nearby
(which means one day shipping without paying extra), cheap, and always
seem to have good stuff.  In December I bought a send/receive fax
from them, and it's working ok.

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice/msg
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 fax
      jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	Soon: jim@cave.sba.ca.us

bern@brahms.udel.edu (Bernard E Runk) (02/22/91)

In article <488@elroy> marka@dsinet (Mark Anacker) writes:

>  I got an ad recently for a dirt-cheap ($69) 2400 baud modem with G3
>outgoing fax capability from some outfit called "The On-Line Store".
>......Does anybody have anything to say about this modem, or the company
>selling it?  The old "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably
>isn't" adage probably applies here, but one can always hope...

About 2 years ago, I received one of their adds about a dirt cheap, 2400bps,
internal, half-card, AT compatable modem.  I took a chance, and have been
very happy with it ever since.  I bought an an external, 2400bps U.S.
Robotics for work;  I don't like it as well as the Online's. "Computer Shopper"
advertisers, however, have listed a similar product for even less.  I forget
who they were, but they're there, somewhere in the 700+ pages.  My guess is
that you would make out all right with this product.

--

Bernie Runk                                     bern@brahms.udel.edu
Network Sevices

louis@cs.athabascau.ca (Louis Schmittroth) (02/24/91)

In article <18966@brahms.udel.edu>, bern@brahms.udel.edu (Bernard E Runk) writes:
> very happy with it ever since.  I bought an an external, 2400bps U.S.
>Robotics for work;  I don't like it as well as the Online's.

I run a Xenix system here at home and have a few friends who call in at
2400 bps. I have tried two cheap modems, once called SMART ONE, and also
a Practical Peripherals PM2400SA.  With both of these I was getting
frequently the message "serial ERROR: Loose cable or Garbage on line,
port shut down", just after the ring came in, and the caller would not
get the login: prompt, and the computer would not answer any more
calls until after I killed the getty and restarted.  After trying
these two modems, both of which work fine on my PC, I borrowed a
Gandalf 2400SAM.  This cleared the problem.  So I want to buy a
new, very high quality modem.  What would you recommend?  Money is
a problem.

Thanks

--
Louis Schmittroth