[comp.dcom.modems] Suitable serial card for H/S modem

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (02/12/91)

I have been looking for a good cheap AT I/O card that has the first
UART socketed, not soldered, or better yet even comes with a NS16550AFN,
and that is very flexible in COMMx and IRQy options. It need not have
parallel or game ports, but two solid serial ports would be fine, and they
should also be individually disableable.

Most everyone with a high speed external modem needs something like this,
but I have been having horrible luck finding anything at a reasonable
price.

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (02/13/91)

goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Glendower, goat of goats) writes:

> I'm looking for the same damn thing. All I know is that you can buy a
>"16550" for about $12 from some place in texas (saw that in Computer Shopper)

16550's contain bugs - make sure you get a 16550A

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/13/91)

Larry Snyder (larry@nstar.rn.com ) wrote:

 >goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Glendower, goat of goats) writes:
> I'm looking for the same damn thing. All I know is that you can buy a
>"16550" for about $12 from some place in texas (saw that in Computer Shopper)

 >16550's contain bugs - make sure you get a 16550A

   I doubt that there would be any NS16550s left out there.

   However, beware of a chip labelled "MX16C550A"!  I was assured through &
through that it would be "100% compatible" with the NS16550AFN but, during
testing, I found all sorts of strange behaviour that I did not get from an
NS16550AN.  I'm also told that Western Digital 16550s have wierd catches as
well, so:

   BE SURE, WHEN ORDERING 16550 CHIPS, THAT YOU'RE GETTING A *NATIONAL
SEMICONDUCTOR* PART!

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (02/17/91)

In article <6804.27BA1B22@zswamp.fidonet.org>, root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
> Larry Snyder (larry@nstar.rn.com ) wrote:
>
>  >goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Glendower, goat of goats) writes:
>> I'm looking for the same damn thing. All I know is that you can buy a
>>"16550" for about $12 from some place in texas (saw that in Computer Shopper)
>  >16550's contain bugs - make sure you get a 16550A

  [...]   I'm also told that Western Digital 16550s have wierd catches as
> well, so:
>
>    BE SURE, WHEN ORDERING 16550 CHIPS, THAT YOU'RE GETTING A *NATIONAL
> SEMICONDUCTOR* PART!

    I have an Orchid memoryboard with serial port, and it says  "(c) WDC'89"
    and "WD16C550JM" on the chip next to the port. Is this a Western Digital
    16550 ? And what's the wierd catch ?

    Teemu
--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb17.005550.4894@cc.helsinki.fi> tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>    I have an Orchid memoryboard with serial port, and it says  "(c) WDC'89"
>    and "WD16C550JM" on the chip next to the port. Is this a Western Digital
>    16550 ? And what's the wierd catch ?

Yes, that's the Western Digital 16550.  And I don't know what the
weird catch is.  I am using one to drive a Wyse terminal at 38.4
kbaud with a 16550-aware driver, and I've never had a single problem.
I also drove a Telebit with one for a few days, and again, no
problems.  I have seen numerous posts stating "I have *heard* the WD
chips have problems" or "the WD part is based on the old NS 16550, so
it will cause you problems."  But I have yet to see anyone actually
say "I had problems with a WD 16550 that went away when I replaced it
with a NS part."  I'm not saying the chip doesn't have problems; I
just haven't seen any myself, nor have I seen anyone claim to have
had any problems.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb17.183849.14395@jwt.UUCP>, john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
> In article <1991Feb17.005550.4894@cc.helsinki.fi> tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>    I have an Orchid memoryboard with serial port, and it says  "(c) WDC'89"
>>    and "WD16C550JM" on the chip next to the port. Is this a Western Digital
>>    16550 ? And what's the wierd catch ?
>
> Yes, that's the Western Digital 16550.  And I don't know what the
> weird catch is.  I am using one to drive a Wyse terminal at 38.4
> kbaud with a 16550-aware driver, and I've never had a single problem.
..
> John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

    Where could I get one of those 16550-aware drivers ? Are they
    meant for only for DOS or could I use them with Windows ? I'm
    using V.32bis if that matters.

    Teemu.
--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi
    University of Helsinki  |         |   bitnet: TMOTTONEN@FINUH
   Dept.of Computer Science |_________|	  decnet: HYLK::TMOTTONEN

gfadel@hayes.uucp (02/20/91)

Serial Port with 16550...

HAYES sells a serial port called ESP(tm) which stands for Enhanced Serial
Port.  This IBM compatible serial port comes with two DB-9 serial ports and
uses the 16550A.  You can configure the ports for any COMx (x=1 to 9), and any
IRQx.  You can also program the ports for FIFO or DMA mode.  In DMA mode, a
processor on board does all the work and frees up the computer's
microprocessor, therefore allowing for multitasking and incresed throughput.
The ESP can also be configured for RTS/CTS or DTR/DSR hardware flow control.

For more information, please contact Hayes Customer Support at (404) 449-8791.
--
    _____
   /     \     Gabriel Fadel, Engineering           Phone:(404) 449-8731
  |  (o)(o)    Norcross, Georgia 30092
  c   .---_)                          UUCP:....mailrus!uunet!hayes!gfadel
   | |.___|
   /_____\ ------------------------------------------------------------------

necka@motcid.UUCP (William J. Necka) (02/21/91)

In article <3787.27c196cc@hayes.uucp> gfadel@hayes.uucp writes:

>Serial Port with 16550...
>
>HAYES sells a serial port called ESP(tm) which stands for Enhanced Serial
>Port.  This IBM compatible serial port comes with two DB-9 serial ports and
>uses the 16550A.  You can configure the ports for any COMx (x=1 to 9), and any
>IRQx.  You can also program the ports for FIFO or DMA mode.  In DMA mode, a
>processor on board does all the work and frees up the computer's
>microprocessor, therefore allowing for multitasking and incresed throughput.
>The ESP can also be configured for RTS/CTS or DTR/DSR hardware flow control.
>
>For more information, please contact Hayes Customer Support at (404) 449-8791.
							        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Maybe a good product, but after weathering the perpetually busy line,
Im told to call another number 1-404-441-1617. There you have to listen to
a recorded message and punch all sorts of numbers to get thru the electronic
maze. When you get thru the recordings, the phone rings and rings till someone
answers and asks you what you need. You inquire about the ESP(tm) and they tell
you to call yet another number, 1-800-635-1225. Now this one answers quick,
thinking they got a sale, they start reading all sorts of prepared
questions. I tell them all I want is a spec. sheet and/or a sales brochure
on the ESP(tm). They tell me they have to read this stuff, and get all the
questions answered. "ESP(tm)?" they act confused; "What is that?", they ask.
I inform them, that supposedly it is a product they sell. They write it down,
and tell me they'll send me some info. We'll see. I feel sorry for the guy
who needs some Customer Support.
-_____________________________________________________________________________
      --          x                              || William Necka -
   __/  \__/\/\/\/ \____     Motorola Cellular   ||    uunet!motcid!necka
  /  \__/  \      _/ [][\_ Arlignton Heights Il. || Opinions expressed are not
  \__/  \__/     (________)    708-632-4435      || necessarily my employer's.
_____\__/__________()__()________________________||____________________________

tgkreimer@miavx2.ham.muohio.edu (Tom Kreimer) (02/21/91)

In article <3787.27c196cc@hayes.uucp>, gfadel@hayes.uucp writes:
> Serial Port with 16550...
>
> HAYES sells a serial port called ESP(tm) which stands for Enhanced Serial
> Port.  This IBM compatible serial port comes with two DB-9 serial ports and
> uses the 16550A.  You can configure the ports for any COMx (x=1 to 9), and any
> IRQx.  You can also program the ports for FIFO or DMA mode.  In DMA mode, a
> processor on board does all the work and frees up the computer's
> microprocessor, therefore allowing for multitasking and incresed throughput.
> The ESP can also be configured for RTS/CTS or DTR/DSR hardware flow control.

Would this allow for high speed backgound file transfers from Microsoft
Windows? Some comminications software for Windows discourages this.

Use the following for direct replies:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Kreimer --- Miami University ---  Oxford, Ohio
tgkreimer@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu --- tgkreimer@miavx2.bitnet <-- USE 1 FOR REPLYS

< > Standard disclaimer  < > No flames  < > Reply/w E-mail  <x> Have a nice day!

goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Craig Stephen Campbell) (02/21/91)

 the hayes ESP may be a great product, but at $250 list i'll get a
$25 dollar I/O card and a $13.00 NS16550AFN and call it a day.

--
--------------=================-----------------------==============---------->
Internet: goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU   "Last night I was cool at the pool hall,

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/22/91)

In article <12646@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Craig
Stephen Campbell) writes:

>  the hayes ESP may be a great product, but at $250 list i'll get a
> $25 dollar I/O card and a $13.00 NS16550AFN and call it a day.

And if that solves your problem, that's what you should do!  But
since the 16550A by itself does not provide automatic flow control
if its receive FIFO starts to fill up, you can still lose data if
you main CPU can't give its attention at least once ever 16
character times.  And since it can't do DMA transfers (and even with
the FIFO, still requires CPU attention at least once every 16
characters), you still have a significant impact on foreground tasks
if you're communicating at high speed in the background.

We never said ESP was for everybody, but if you need it, it's there!

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.205335.410@miavx2.ham.muohio.edu>,
tgkreimer@miavx2.ham.muohio.edu (Tom Kreimer) writes:

>> HAYES sells a serial port called ESP(tm) which stands for Enhanced Serial
>> Port.  This IBM compatible serial port comes with two DB-9 serial ports and
> Would this allow for high speed backgound file transfers from Microsoft
> Windows? Some comminications software for Windows discourages this.

The reason background high-speed transfers are discouraged in MS
Windows is that it is cooperative, rather than pre-emptive,
multitasking system, and you can suffer serious data loss problems.
ESP solves this by providing automatic flow control right on the
board.  It also provides DMA, so the interrupt processing overhead
is greatly reduced, making background communications feasible.  Both
of these features are supported by Hayes' Windows 3 serial driver,
now in beta test and available very soon.

--

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (02/24/91)

In article <3801.27c53c7e@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

> We never said ESP was for everybody, but if you need it, it's there!

Who is it for, Toby?  Personally, I'm looking for a smart card to
enable me to run full-speed downloads (~1700 cps) from within Windows
3.0.  Is the ESP card the solution?

I've spoken to other multi-port board manufacturers, and none of them
will admit to having Windows drivers.  If the ESP looks like regular
serial ports it might be just what I need.

Is it in national distribution?

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb23.205152.6294@rfengr.com>, rfarris@rfengr.com
(Rick Farris) writes:

>> We never said ESP was for everybody, but if you need it, it's there!
>
> Who is it for, Toby?  Personally, I'm looking for a smart card to
> enable me to run full-speed downloads (~1700 cps) from within Windows
> 3.0.  Is the ESP card the solution?

With its automatic hardware protection against data loss due to
FIFO overrun, ESP does indeed solve most problems associated with
downloads within Windows.

> I've spoken to other multi-port board manufacturers, and none of them
> will admit to having Windows drivers.  If the ESP looks like regular
> serial ports it might be just what I need.

Not only does ESP look like "regular serial ports" if you want to
use it with existing software, it also has a DMA Enhanced mode that
dramatically cuts the number of interrupts that have to be processed
to handle serial data.  Up to 1K bytes can be transferred
automatically on each CPU interrupt, instead of 1 to 16 characters
as with a 16550A alone.  The Hayes ESI Driver for Windows uses the
DMA Enhanced mode of ESP; this driver is in beta-test now, and will
be shipping very soon.

> Is it in national distribution?

Yes; ESP is available through any computer store.  If they don't
have it in stock, they can get it in a few days through their normal
distribution source for Hayes products.

[Sorry if this message sounds overly "salesy", folks!  I'll try to
contain my enthusiasm from now on...]

--

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (02/25/91)

goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Craig Stephen Campbell) writes:

> the hayes ESP may be a great product, but at $250 list i'll get a
>$25 dollar I/O card and a $13.00 NS16550AFN and call it a day.

and get the same throughput as well!

--
               {larry@nstar.rn.com, ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!larry}