[comp.dcom.modems] Connecting Hayes V series 9600 to USR DS V.32

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (02/19/91)

Hi,
	I was wondering if anyone out there has had problems connecting to
USRobotics V.32 modems with Hayes V series 9600 modems??? I am using the
Hayes to origiante and the USRobotics to answer. The Answer end is controled
by Wildcat, and works for other USR modems. When I try a connection I get
connected at 2400 with error correction (V.42bis I presume). I've tried
locking the Hayes to 9600, then I just get NO CARRIER. Is there anything
special I have to do to either modems, the USR is set to try to detect
V.32 AND HST modulations.

Any ideas??????

Justin Smith

--
|------------Justin Smith---SYSOP--Orange Crush BBS (708) 359-5379-------------|
|      USRobotics HST14400/MNP5/V.32/V.42bis  | "one thought he was invincible,|

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/20/91)

In article <5862@galena24.UUCP>, smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A.
Smith) writes:

> 	I was wondering if anyone out there has had problems connecting to
> USRobotics V.32 modems with Hayes V series 9600 modems???

The Hayes V-series Smartmodem 9600 uses a proprietary, non-standard,
fast-turnaround half-duplex ping-pong modulation scheme.  It is
_not_ a CCITT V.32 compliant modem, any more than is the USR HST or
the Telebit Trailblazer or the Microcom AX/9624c.  All of these use
different, incompatible, non-standard modulation schemes.  The
highest speed in common between the USR V.32 and Hayes VSM9600 is
2400bps, which is why they connect at that speed.  If you want to
connect at 9600, you'll need to have a Hayes Ultra 96 (V-series
ULTRA Smartmodem 9600), which _is_ CCITT V.32 compliant.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/21/91)

In a letter to All, Justin A. Smith (smithju@motcid.UUCP ) wrote:

 >I was wondering if anyone out there has had problems connecting to
 >USRobotics V.32 modems with Hayes V series 9600 modems???

 >Is there anything special I have to do to either modems,

   Yeah: stop trying to make a V.32 modem talk to a non-V.32 modem.

 >the USR is set to try to detect V.32 AND HST modulations.

 ... but the Hayes V-Series Smartmodem 9600 is neither V.32 (unless it's an
"Ultra" Smartmodem) nor HST!

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/25/91)

 >From: tnixon@hayes.uucp

 >The Hayes V-series Smartmodem 9600 uses a proprietary, non-standard,
 >fast-turnaround half-duplex ping-pong modulation scheme.  It is
 >_not_ a CCITT V.32 compliant modem, any more than is the USR HST or
 >the Telebit Trailblazer or the Microcom AX/9624c.

   If I remember correctly, the Microcom modem uses V.29FT.  I've seen a lot
of modems based on V.29FT; do you know how compatible they are with each
other?

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/26/91)

In article <6869.27C89A24@zswamp.fidonet.org>,
root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

>    If I remember correctly, the Microcom modem uses V.29FT.  I've seen a lot
> of modems based on V.29FT; do you know how compatible they are with each
> other?

Most of the V.29FT modems I've seen are synchronous-only (used on
fast-poll multidrop leased lines).  I don't even think Microcom's
MNP6 modems can use their high-speed modulation synchronously, so
they wouldn't be compatible.  As for whether the various V.29 fast
train synchronous modems are compatible, it would be "de facto",
based on some manufacturers following others, because V.29 itself
only defines the (approximately) 250 msec long train.