[comp.dcom.modems] T2500's and touchtones

njs@scifi.uucp (Nicholas J. Simicich) (02/22/91)

I suspect I'm totally whacked on this, but maybe someone knows:  I'd
like to be able to decode DTMF tones through a modem for automatic
authentication.  Since I have T2500 modems, those would be best, but
are there any V.32 modems that can do this?

--
Nick Simicich - uunet!bywater!scifi!njs - njs@ibm.com
SSI #AOWI 3958, HSA 318

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb22.143956.12385@scifi.uucp> njs@scifi.uucp
(Nicholas J. Simicich) writes:

>I suspect I'm totally whacked on this, but maybe someone knows:  I'd
>like to be able to decode DTMF tones through a modem for automatic
>authentication.  Since I have T2500 modems, those would be best, but
>are there any V.32 modems that can do this?

Hi Nick,  I'm afraid the T2500 doesn't have any capabilities for
receiving and decoding touch tones.  I'm not aware of any modems
that do (but I'm not conversant with every modem on the market).

Technically speaking, it's certainly *possible* for the T2500 to
perform DTMF decoding (DTMF = Dual Tone Multi-Frequency - the
official name for 'touch tones') - I would imagine that it's
possible for any modem that uses DSP instead of just a plain
chipset - it's just that Telebit hasn't put that feature into
the modems.

--
.-------------------------------------------.
| Greg Andrews      |   gandrews@netcom.COM |

andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Andrew Ernest) (02/24/91)

In article <25354@netcom.COM> gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:
>official name for 'touch tones') - I would imagine that it's
>possible for any modem that uses DSP instead of just a plain
>chipset - it's just that Telebit hasn't put that feature into
>the modems.

It would be amusing (and potentially useful, for applications like Nick's)
if modem manufacturers started selling user-programmable models.  I'd
imagine the firmware developers have something of this sort for developing
the code that eventually gets burned into ROMs.

I can see it now...TB-MOS ({TrailBlazer,TeleBit}-Modem Operating System).
And before long there'd be OOMP (Object-Oriented Modem Programming).
--
Andrew Ernest <andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US>

david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) (02/24/91)

andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Andrew Ernest) writes:
>It would be amusing (and potentially useful, for applications like Nick's)
>if modem manufacturers started selling user-programmable models.  I'd

It has already been done. Here in Australia you can buy a 300/1200/2400bps modem
called the Maestro which runs Forth as its operating system - and you can escape
from the AT command set to the Forth interpreter.
--
David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong	david@cs.uow.edu.au

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb23.204027.113648@ramona.Cary.NC.US>,
andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Andrew Ernest) writes:

> It would be amusing (and potentially useful, for applications like Nick's)
> if modem manufacturers started selling user-programmable models.  I'd
> imagine the firmware developers have something of this sort for developing
> the code that eventually gets burned into ROMs.
>
> I can see it now...TB-MOS ({TrailBlazer,TeleBit}-Modem Operating System).
> And before long there'd be OOMP (Object-Oriented Modem Programming).

I'm aware of at least one modem on the market now in which both the
DSP and main processor are controlled by loadable SOFTWARE rather
than ROM-based FIRMWARE -- the V.32bis modem from Forval (designed
by Intelligent Modem Corporation of Midvale, Utah).  It is a MC56000
DSP and MC68302 controller (68000 mpu).  All of the code the runs
on the modem can be loaded from either the local host computer (PC;
this is an ISA-bus internal modem) or from a REMOTE HOST!  They, of
course, don't document at all how to do this, but it's possible, it
would seem.  The remote-loading is kind of scary, actually; it
introduces the possibility of having a virus in your MODEM (egad!).
But it is nice to be able to upgrade your modem's "firmware" by just
sliding an update diskette into your PC.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb23.204027.113648@ramona.Cary.NC.US>, andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Andrew Ernest) writes:
| It would be amusing (and potentially useful, for applications like Nick's)
| if modem manufacturers started selling user-programmable models.

	One of the ATJ options (I forget which) on the 2500 puts one
into what appears to be a very simple monitor.  It looks like you can peek/poke
memory...

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb23.204027.113648@ramona.Cary.NC.US>
andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Andrew Ernest) writes:

>It would be amusing (and potentially useful, for applications like Nick's)
>if modem manufacturers started selling user-programmable models.  I'd
>imagine the firmware developers have something of this sort for developing
>the code that eventually gets burned into ROMs.
>
>I can see it now...TB-MOS ({TrailBlazer,TeleBit}-Modem Operating System).
>And before long there'd be OOMP (Object-Oriented Modem Programming).

That may be a nice dream for some users, but I gotta tell ya - It's a
support tech's nightmare!  I used to work the support hotline for an MS-DOS
comm package with a very complete programming language.  Every few days I'd
get someone who would say "My script won't work - Debug it! (all 5000 lines)".
Yikes! (sigh.  those were the days)

There are several DSP boards on the market that could be used for DTMF
decoding.  No inherent advantage in using a DSP-based modem to do the
job as far as I can see.  (heck - people already say Telebit modems are
too hard to understand!  You wanna add low-level programming?!? <grin>)

--
.-------------------------------------------.

Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com (Mariusz Stanczak) (02/26/91)

In article <3807.27c8524f@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

>I'm aware of at least one modem on the market now in which both the
>DSP and main processor are controlled by loadable SOFTWARE rather
>than ROM-based FIRMWARE -- the V.32bis modem from Forval (designed

BTW Toby, would you have any data on (or knowlage thereof) the "friendli-
ness" of this, or other V.32 products from Forval (probably as "distinc-
tivly" looking ;-)) to other modems (Telebit in particular), or/and on the
"satisfaction index" of owners of Forval's products?

--
INET: Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com
CIS : 71601.2430@compuserve.com

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (02/27/91)

In article <7832@tekchips.LABS.TEK.COM> markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM (Mark C. Henderson) writes:

> [ How do we bump into the Telebit monitor program?]
>
>The command is j6j5 (at least on a T2500 with 6.0 roms)

Mark -
	That seems to work on my T2500 with 7.0 roms, but I can't seem
to do anything in that mode. Do you know any commands?

	- jiro

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/28/91)

In article <83@fbits.ttank.com>, Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com (Mariusz
Stanczak) writes:

> In article <3807.27c8524f@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
>>
>>I'm aware of at least one modem on the market now in which both the
>>DSP and main processor are controlled by loadable SOFTWARE rather
>>than ROM-based FIRMWARE -- the V.32bis modem from Forval (designed
>
> BTW Toby, would you have any data on (or knowlage thereof) the "friendli-
> ness" of this, or other V.32 products from Forval (probably as "distinc-
> tivly" looking ;-)) to other modems (Telebit in particular), or/and on the
> "satisfaction index" of owners of Forval's products?

Nope.  To the best of my knowledge, the Forval modem has only been
shipping for about three months, and I haven't seen any reviews of
it in the press, nor any comments from users on any networks.  The
Forval folks are, of course, exuberant ("Hey, it works Greeeat!").