[comp.dcom.modems] T2500 vs T1600

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (01/24/91)

tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) writes:
> Can anyone tell me the differences between the Telebit T2500 and the
> Telebit T1600?  I am interested in both modems but do not know advantages

The T2500 includes V.32 based on the Rockwell chipset, and PEP.

The T1600 includes V.32 based on a Telebit chipset, ONLY.  No PEP.

If you have a need to connect to Telebit modems that don't support
V.32, you'll need the T2500.  If you plan on doing a lot of UUCP
traffic to other Telebit modems, you'll want the T2500.

However, rumor has it that Telebit is developing a modem that supports
V.32 on their chipset and PEP.  You might want to wait for that modem
to come out; the Telebit chipset is reportedly much better than the
Rockwell one.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (03/02/91)

In article <16@mich-ns.UUCP> tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:
			     Telebit T1600           Telebit T2500
   X/YModem, Kermit, UUCP
     Protocol support        YES (in V.32)           YES (in PEP)

   The T2500 ... provides protocol support (X/Ymodem, Kermit and UUCP)
   in PEP mode.

The T2500 with release 7.00 ROMS also provides protocol spoofing over
V.32 connections, if MNP or V.42 is active.  This presumably
interoperates with the T1600's spoofing over V.32 (probably also only
over error-corrected links, the manual doesn't specify), but I haven't
tested it myself.  See the bottom of page 5 of the Release GF7.00
Addendum or page 2-5 of the GE7.00 Upgrade Guide.

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (03/02/91)

| From: tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT)
|
|                           Telebit T1600           Telebit T2500
| --------------------------------------------------------------------
| MODULATION
| ----------
| V.22bis                   YES                     YES

  Uhmmm, I assume this was just a mistake since neither the T2500 nor the
T1600 support V.32bis.  Nor are they likely to ...

Casey

P.S.  I also agree with George Robbins about Telebit not committing
    publicly to V.32bis.  However, unlike George, I'm not committed to PEP
    in the least and am planning as large a move away from it as possible.
    I'm planning on replacing every T1000 modem in our group with either
    V.32 or V.32bis modems.  Once they are mostly gone I will replace
    the dial in modems also.  I.e. My sole commitment to Telebit is and
    has been their willingness to treat me right, offer me good solutions
    at a decent price and a commitment to always offering a hardware
    upgrade path.

    I've talked with some people at Telebit and now feel a bit better
    about the situation, but not a lot.  So far all I've gotten is hand
    holding (which is better than the wall of silence I was getting.)  In
    the mean time other modem companies are falling over themselves to
    talk to me and offer far better prices than Telebit -- on V.32bis.
    We're *not* talking about fly-by-night companies either.

    As it stands now, as soon as I finish evaluating V.32bis modems here
    in about a month, I will start buying.  And I doubt very much whether
    they will be Telebits.  I'm not happy about this because I've liked
    Telebit in the past and I have a great relationship with our Telebit
    distributor.

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (03/02/91)

| From: casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom)
|
| | From: tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT)
| |
| |                           Telebit T1600           Telebit T2500
| | --------------------------------------------------------------------
| | MODULATION
| | ----------
| | V.22bis                   YES                     YES
|
|   Uhmmm, I assume this was just a mistake since neither the T2500 nor the
| T1600 support V.32bis.  Nor are they likely to ...

  Opps.  Obviously a case of being too tired to see straight.  Sorry.  He
said V.22bis and I saw it right under the V.32 selection and read
V.32bis.  My fault.

Casey

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (03/02/91)

In article <92273@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>| From: tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT)
>|
>|                           Telebit T1600           Telebit T2500
>| --------------------------------------------------------------------
>| MODULATION
>| ----------
>| V.22bis                   YES                     YES
>
>  Uhmmm, I assume this was just a mistake since neither the T2500 nor the
>T1600 support V.32bis.  Nor are they likely to ...

But he didn't list V.32bis.  He listed V.22bis, which is 2400 bps.

--
| Greg Andrews      |   gandrews@netcom.COM |

enger@seka.scc.com (Robert M. Enger) (03/03/91)

Another difference is the internal architecture of the modem.
Back issues of this group contain considerable controversy over the
'guts' of the T2500.  The original poster may wish to review the archives.

Bob
--

Robert M. Enger
CONTEL Federal Systems