[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes V Ultra Smart 9600: good buy?

abw@natchez.bu.edu (Al Wesolowsky) (03/05/91)

I am about to buy my first modem, principally to call from a Mac SE30
at home to a 9600 line on a campus net to talk to some Sun4s. Exploring
BBSs is not out of the question, but is a low priority for the nonce.

I am about 98% convinced to plunk down for a Hayes V Series Ultra Smart
Modem 9600 at $799 from Mac Connections, and will use Kermit or White
Knight.

Another possibility remains Practical Peripherals UltraModem 9600 at $489.

I can manage the cost, so price is secondary at these levels. The
university boffins tell me that the local net supports V.32 at present and
will add V.42.bis in the near future, and now supports MNP 4 and 5.

I would appreciate net.comments (e-mail or posts) regarding this modem and
experiences with Hayes. If there is interest, I will post a summary.

Much obliged.
                                           ---Al

--
|     Al B. Wesolowsky  abw@bucrsb.bu.edu or arc9arn@buacca.bitnet    |
|"The event you have just witnessed is based on sworn testimony. Can  |

al@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Al Peterman) (03/05/91)

In article <76093@bu.edu.bu.edu> abw@natchez.bu.edu (Al Wesolowsky) writes:
>I am about 98% convinced to plunk down for a Hayes V Series Ultra Smart
>Modem 9600 at $799 from Mac Connections, and will use Kermit or White
>Knight.

Office Club sells the Hayes Ultra for $599.  It's the best price I've
seen for that modem..

>Another possibility remains Practical Peripherals UltraModem 9600 at $489.

This one is available at $445 from Computer Discount Warehouse.  According
to several reports Practical Peripherals is a subsidiary of Hayes.  I own
this modem and have been quite pleased with the performance and support.

--
Alan L. Peterman                                   (503)-684-1984 hm
                       al@qiclab.scn.rain.com