[comp.dcom.modems] Overseas Connections with high-speed modems

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) (02/27/91)

A few days ago, I posted a few questions concerning high-speed
modem connections between the UK and the US.  I received many
helpful replies.  Some specific points that were made, most by
several responders independently:

Many people pointed out that there are both legal and practical
problems with purchasing a modem in the US, shipping it to the UK,
and then using it in the UK.  Several people pointed out that it
could be done with a small amount of technical expertise, but that
little niceties like repair service and modem upgrades would be
problems for the life of the modem.  It turns out that the folks in
the UK had not realized all that was involved, and you've apparantly
convinced them to purchase their US-bound modem in the US and their
UK-bound modem in the UK.

Several of you also had [bad] experience with V.32 connections
and  overseas calls, particularly those to and from the UK.  This
being primarily a Unix-based conference, most of you who suggested
using alternate high-speed protocols recommended Telebit and its PEP
protocol (most of those who responded to a similar question on the BBS
networks suggested a USR and its HST protocol).  They may go with one
of the "multiple-standard" (has that phrase been copyrighted yet?)
modems that include both V.32 (or V.32/V.32bis) and a proprietary
protocol, so that they can make both high-speed connections to the
general business world and clean connections in the UK<->US calls.

Apparantly I did not emphasize enough that these folks will be
using MS-DOS machines and MS-DOS-based software (in fact, the US
office just found out yesterday that they will be using a package
called TRAX, which is sold in the UK and is something like
Close-up/Carbon-Copy) for their file transfer.  I received several
While V.42bis compression looks like a very handy feature for this
application, Telebit modems won't find any protocol to "spoof".

(BTW, which software will be used was [note the tense] a decision made
in the home office in the UK - suggestions about switching software
would be met with a "just get this package working, thank you very
much".  The software they have chosen may be fantastic, and it may
be abysmal - either case is beside the point, and good consultants
know when it's time to just get the $#@%&! thing working.)

todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) (03/01/91)

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) writes:
>A few days ago, I posted a few questions concerning high-speed
>modem connections between the UK and the US.  I received many
>helpful replies.

I just finished setting up a system for a client with a very
similar configuration.  Unfortunately, he insisted on  using
Procomm Plus, which is not very robust nor does it have a very
sophisticated scripting language.  My personal favorite is
HyperAccess, but my client was concerned they would not be able
to find expertise for it in the UK.

We used Racal-Vadic 2400 MNP modems, and they worked fine.
Procomm, on the other hand, will *never* work to my
satisfaction.

pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) (03/03/91)

In article <1018@nih-csl.nih.gov> bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) writes:

> ...[ deleted ] ...
>
>Apparantly I did not emphasize enough that these folks will be
>using MS-DOS machines and MS-DOS-based software (in fact, the US
>office just found out yesterday that they will be using a package
>called TRAX, which is sold in the UK and is something like
>Close-up/Carbon-Copy) for their file transfer.  I received several
>While V.42bis compression looks like a very handy feature for this
>application, Telebit modems won't find any protocol to "spoof".

Oh, yes there ARE protocols to "spoof" in the MSDOS world - virtually
all the non-streaming (ACK-NAK, or 'send and wait') file transfer
protocols take a big performance hit with the hi-speed modems, even
with non-PEP modem protocols, probably because of the packet-type
nature of the error-correction schemes, such as MNP.  The Telebits
"spoofing" feature improves the performance of the XMODEM type protocols
such as XMODEM, XMODEM-1K, and Batch YMODEM; the various flavors of
Kermit, as well as the UUCP "spoofing".  When I use the T2500 to make
an interactive connection, I arrange things so it connects with
XMODEM type spoofing turned on.  For normal interactive use or
streaming protocol usage, like ZMODEM, it has no effect that I can
tell, but if I have to use XMODEM 1K, or Batch YMODEM, it helps
quite a bit.  If the other end only supports regular XMODEM (128 byte
packets), performance is dismal without the spoofing active.  While
I haven't tested this, I suspect a 9600 bps link using V.32 and MNP
would have poorer performance with XMODEM or YMODEM than PEP would
using its spoofing, assuming the modems at each end are hooked to
9600 bps ports.  On the other hand, if one isn't going to be transferring
files, or only using the streaming type protocols, such as ZMODEM,
then the spoofing feature won't result in any gain performance-wise.

Another point to consider with PEP is its reputation to hang in there
with lousy lines - it will not only reduce its speed if line
conditions are bad, but if during the call the conditions improve, it
will move its speed back up again - it adjusts dynamically for the
line condition.  Other schemes will often fall back to a lower speed
if line condition deteriorates, but will not 'fall forward' when
conditions improve.  PEP changes in 100 bps increments, if I recall
but V.32 9600 drops to 4800 in one step and stays there if it has to
re-adjust.

Telebits and PEP may not be what is best for your application, I don't
really know what your software supports, etc.  All the schemes and
modems have their good and not-so-good points - personally I use the
T2500 and find it quite robust at the hi speeds, with both PEP and
V.32.  I also notice that I can have a connection with some other make
of modem over a less-than-great line, and the other end will be getting
garbage characters in their reception, but my end (receiving with the
T2500) will be totally clean.  Once or twice one could attribute it
to differences in the quality of the paths taken by each direction, but
I find this to be consistant.  Getting garbage characters on my screen
or file xfer errors is a rare occurance for me, with or without an
MNP type connection.  Perhaps I have an exceptional unit, but the
modem at work seems to show the same quality (though its usage over
noisy lines has been much more limited).

The Telebits offer great flexibility in setup, some folks find this
to be a drawback, since they have difficulty in setting up the large
number of S registers and options.  With a little testing (use a terminal
hooked directly to the modem) to get a feel how options affect things,
and careful reading of the manual, I find the flexibility extremely
useful in adapting to the quirks one finds in different communication
packages - especially when reliable unattended operation is desired.

I have no connection with Telebit, other than being a happy customer.
Perhaps I am easy to please ... :-)

--
pat@rwing                                       (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA
                            ...!uunet!pilchuck!rwing!pat

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (03/04/91)

/ From: bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler)

/ From: pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto)

| Oh, yes there ARE protocols to "spoof" in the MSDOS world - virtually all
| the non-streaming (ACK-NAK, or 'send and wait') file transfer protocols
| take a big performance hit with the hi-speed modems, even with non-PEP
| modem protocols, probably because of the packet-type nature of the
\ error-correction schemes, such as MNP.

  MNP and V.42 packetization is only one source of latency in the overall
communications link.  There's the time necessary for the application to
turn an ACK around, time to get the bits in and out of serial ports,
possibly even terminal servers and Ethernet links, etc.

  Fundamentally the bug is in the non-streaming protocol.  Anyone who
develops a protocol now that doesn't support sliding windows should be
removed from the gene pool.  It's just stupid not to support sliding
windows when the algorithms are now so well known.

  Unfortunately there are a lot of older protocols and, yes, stupid newer
protocols, that some people have to use.  It's unreasonable to expect
Telebit or any modem company to support spoofing of every such protocol
in the universe.  They can only afford to go after the more popular
ones.

  Therefore, if you have to use one of those stupid protocols and no
modem is available to spoof it, you'd better look around for the
combination of equipment and lower layer protocols that minimize your
latency in order to boost your over all performance.

  From a practical standpoint, I've noticed that my Telebit T2500 seems
to over a lower latency path when using V.42/V.42bis than with MNP5 --
both over a V.32 carrier.  I suspect that this is probably because I've
heard that the default packet size for MNP5 is 256 bytes and the default
packet size for V.42 is 128 bytes.  This reduces the streaming throughput
rates for V.42 but also decreases the round trip latency for
non-streaming protocols like XMODEM.  Some modems may allow you to set
the packet size in MNP or V.42.  The T2500, as far as I can see, does not
have any way of doing this.  (By the way, I can hardly wait till we see
modems whose link layers dynamically negotiate their packet sizes based
on a combination of Nagle algorithm methods and analysis of burst error
rates (BERTS) on the link.)

  Also from a practical standpoint, Telebit's PEP protocol is going to
give you very large latency.  This will be especially true if the
protocols your are using have large ACK packets or allow data
transmission in both directions at once.

Casey

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/04/91)

Pat Myrto (pat@rwing.UUCP ) wrote:

 >Oh, yes there ARE protocols to "spoof" in the MSDOS world -
 >virtually
 >all the non-streaming (ACK-NAK, or 'send and wait') file
 >transfer
 >protocols take a big performance hit with the hi-speed
 >modems, even
 >with non-PEP modem protocols, probably because of the
 >packet-type
 >nature of the error-correction schemes, such as MNP.

   You are correct that any non-streaming protocol will suffer at high speeds,
but packetizing via MNP or X.25 simply make the problem worse, not cause it.

   Think of XMODEM: send a block, get the ACK, send the next block.  At 300
baud, the 128-byte block takes several seconds to transmit, the pause while
waiting for the ACK only a fraction of a second, therefore the fraction of
transmitter time which remains unused is small.  Now go to 38,400 bps, where
the pause for the ACK is longer than the time it takes to send a block... the
result is that XMODEM will usually remain below 1000 CPS, *no matter how high
the baud rate goes*

   You can use larger blocks, getting more data through for a fixed wasted
time, but that only reduces the overhead as a percent of the available
transmit time and does not solve the problem.

   You can use windowed protocols, but you must impose an arbitrary limit on
the size of the window and, when the baud rate reaches a certain point, a full
window will be transmitted before the first ACK comes back, making the
protocol functionally equivalent to XMODEM, but with an effective block size
equal to the maximum window size.

   The long term solution is the streaming protocol, and spoofing is an
effective conversion of a non-streaming protocol to a streaming protocol for
the physical transport and then back again at the other side.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar01.043029.1712@toolz.uucp> todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) writes:
>I just finished setting up a system for a client with a very
>similar configuration.  Unfortunately, he insisted on  using
>Procomm Plus, which is not very robust nor does it have a very
>sophisticated scripting language.  My personal favorite is
>HyperAccess, but my client was concerned they would not be able
>to find expertise for it in the UK.

You might want to fix him up with Procomm 2.0 (commercial) which was just
recently released, I believe.  It's still not as good as Telemate or Telix,
but they've beefed up many things, including the scripting.