[comp.dcom.modems] HST Dual Standard and v.32

cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (03/05/91)

It is my understanding of the HST dual standard that
1) If you want the best throughput and opt for a fixed link speed
between your computer and the modem,
2) And you want callers to be able to connect at v.32 or HST whichever
they are using...

You're out of luck.

Such was the argument that defeated my urge to purchase a dual standard.

Question:  If you DON'T use fixed link speeds, how can you take
advantage of data-compression???

John Cummins

In article <1991Mar4.195123.4938@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu> cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) writes:
>It is my understanding of the HST dual standard that
>1) If you want the best throughput and opt for a fixed link speed
>between your computer and the modem,
>2) And you want callers to be able to connect at v.32 or HST whichever
>they are using...
>
>You're out of luck.
>
>Such was the argument that defeated my urge to purchase a dual standard.

You're out of luck-- get out the checkbook, the urge is back.

     Modem settings:  B0, &B1, &H1/&H2/&H3,
        &M4/&M5, &N0

      Dual Standard modems always connect with
      each other, either in HST mode or in
      V.32 bis mode.  However, we  recommend
      that Dual Standard modems be set to B0
      and to &N0, so that they can connect
      with V.32 bis, HST and lower-speed
      modems, in both Originate and Answer
      modes.

(both from the USR manual)
Basically, lock your dte rate at 19200 or 38400, set modem to &B1 (Fixed
DTE rate) and B0 (V.32/V.32 bis mode).
Dual Standards connect to each other according to the mode of the ORIGINATING
modem.  HST modems will cause an answering Dual Standard in V.32/V.32bis
mode to switch to HST mode.
I mine 600 wells, and whaddo I get?  Another day older and deeper in debt!
	--- Saddam Hussein.