[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit T1600 - great deal but i'm NOT stupid.

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) (03/05/91)

I recently posted about my dilemma in having to sell a T1600,
which is 1) brand new, 2) UNOPENED , 3) must sell
It seems that you all only read #3,  the must sell part
I had offers as low as $200, get REAL!  WAKE UP!  NO WAY!
I'm offering a deal that's reasonable.....
  mailorder is going for $550+
  the closest I get to that..... gets it.

DON't bother going lower than $475 since THAT's what it cost....
(dealers get prices, not STEALS)
I'm being honest cause I NEED to sell,  but i'm not going to be stupid
If you want a GOOD deal,  call me at work (607)-272-2225
  or email me back.
Somebody's gonna get a good deal.... i'll tell you that...
BUT NOT A $200 MODEM......

Seth
(i may act stupid, I may look stupid, I may post stupid... but i'm NOT)

Seth Cohn, Service Tech.  607-273-2815 voice 607-272-7002 BBS
All things posted are opinions by me, of me, for me, or to me.
And another thing..........I'm not sure you're real.

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (03/06/91)

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) writes:

>I recently posted about my dilemma in having to sell a T1600,
>which is 1) brand new, 2) UNOPENED , 3) must sell
>It seems that you all only read #3,  the must sell part
>I had offers as low as $200, get REAL!  WAKE UP!  NO WAY!
>I'm offering a deal that's reasonable.....
>  mailorder is going for $550+
>  the closest I get to that..... gets it.

>DON't bother going lower than $475 since THAT's what it cost....
>(dealers get prices, not STEALS)
>I'm being honest cause I NEED to sell,  but i'm not going to be stupid

Um, since I've seen prices 'advertised' on the net for $499, I doubt if you're
gonna get much over that offered.  Especially since that is from
a dealer with (hopefully) all the standard guarantees, reasonable expectation
for correct packing and shipping, credit card availability, etc.

On the other hand, even unopened, what happens if the modem from you is bad?
Can you arrange for immediate shipment of a replacement?  Will there be problems
in getting warranty service?  I don't know about Telebit, but with a lot of
other companies the first level of warranty service is through the dealer
you bought the thing from.

So you need to sell the modem.  Fine.   Why should you make a profit on it?
That's asking someone else to pay for your problems.  A lot of companies charge
a 20% restocking fee if you return something for reasons other than
incompatibilities.  What will the dealer you bought it from give you for it?

Michael Nolan
nolan@helios.unl.edu

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) (03/06/91)

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) writes:

> sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) writes:
>
> >I recently posted about my dilemma in having to sell a T1600,
> >which is 1) brand new, 2) UNOPENED , 3) must sell
> >It seems that you all only read #3,  the must sell part
> >I had offers as low as $200, get REAL!  WAKE UP!  NO WAY!
> >I'm offering a deal that's reasonable.....
> >  mailorder is going for $550+
> >  the closest I get to that..... gets it.
>
> >DON't bother going lower than $475 since THAT's what it cost....
> >(dealers get prices, not STEALS)
> >I'm being honest cause I NEED to sell,  but i'm not going to be stupid
>
> Um, since I've seen prices 'advertised' on the net for $499, I doubt if you'r
> gonna get much over that offered.  Especially since that is from
> a dealer with (hopefully) all the standard guarantees, reasonable expectation
> for correct packing and shipping, credit card availability, etc.
>
> On the other hand, even unopened, what happens if the modem from you is bad?
> Can you arrange for immediate shipment of a replacement?  Will there be probl
> in getting warranty service?  I don't know about Telebit, but with a lot of
> other companies the first level of warranty service is through the dealer
> you bought the thing from.
>
> So you need to sell the modem.  Fine.   Why should you make a profit on it?
> That's asking someone else to pay for your problems.  A lot of companies char
> a 20% restocking fee if you return something for reasons other than
> incompatibilities.  What will the dealer you bought it from give you for it?
>
> Michael Nolan
> nolan@helios.unl.edu

(sorry for all the bandwidth folks)
I'm SELLING it through a dealer... ME!, I said so the first post, that's
WHY i'm offering it for the price I am.  I can't take Credit cards over
the phone but i will in person, as for warranty etc, well, same as if you
bought it from a dealer.
Re: restocking fees, That's JUST what i'm trying to avoid, Dealers PAY
restocking too.  I'm just looking for someone who wants a good modem, ay
a good price, i'm NOT looking to make money (in fact I'm losing money
that's tied up in it)
Again, it's a telebit T1600, 9600baud, v32,v42,v42bis
Offers of $475 or more..... best offer gets it
(and WHEre did you see it offered for $499 - it's a NEW model!!!)

Seth
(607) 272-2225 work