[comp.dcom.modems] Internet at home ?

cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (02/27/91)

I have a question and would be grateful for any posted or mailed

Nowadays that workstations are so cheap it would seem very tempting to
me to have one at home. The one thing which has prevented me from
doing this is the question of network access. Much of the usefullness
of these machines to me comes from the access to the internet. Hence I
have so far decided against getting one.

I have access to a large number of scientific and university computers
which I have used for remote logins and most of my work and guess I
will have that in the future, too.  One possibile solution would be to
get a small workstation(like e.g. a NeXT) with a few 100 MBytes of HD
space at home, buy two V32[.bis] modems for about $1000, use a
standard phoneline to connect to the university continously , and run
SLIP. Assuming I live nearby to the university the monthly cost for
this is minimal (just a phoneline , really. Maybe $10)

Would this give me the same access I have from the workstation at the
university ? Is the speed acceptable to do e.g. ftp ? Mount remote
volumes ? Run remote X-Windows applications ? Is there a better
solution for a similar price ? Will the internet administration charge
me $10,000 a year ?

Thanks in advance for all answers !

        Carl Edman

"We hold that what one man cannot morally do, a million men cannot
morally do, and government, representing many millions of men, cannot
do." -- Auberon Herbert
          Send mail to Carl Edman <cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu>

ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) (02/27/91)

In article <CEDMAN.91Feb26183835@lynx.ps.uci.edu>, cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:
(paraphrased)
>What kind of performance can I expect using a 9600b modem with compression
>running SLIP for access through an office workstation?
>(any way that is the gist of it)

I am trying to do the same thing except I want to use an pc-at running some x11
server program.  The discussions on high-speed serial ports and 9600b modems have
been extremely helpful!!!

Please post any reply or please include me in mailings

Toodles
Andy

--
Andy Register  Internet: ar12@prism.gatech.edu   Bitnet: aregiste@gtri01.bitnet

-- Sometimes the Bears Win, Sometimes the Bulls Win --
    -------- But the Pigs *Always* Lose --------              (author unknown)

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/28/91)

There are several companies that offer network access, such as PSI, Inc., for a
small cost.  Usually in the $250 per month range.  This is for a 9600 SLIP/PPP
connection.  Generally acceptable I know of several network software
corporations whose only connection is a 9600 baud line (note: not ours 56K).
They seem to find it acceptable enough.  Give PSI, or one of those companies a
call.  There are others, UUNET, Anterior Systems, etc...

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) (02/28/91)

In article <CEDMAN.91Feb26183835@lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) asks about Dial Up Access to the Internet :writes:

>volumes ? Run remote X-Windows applications ? Is there a better
>solution for a similar price ? Will the internet administration charge
>me $10,000 a year ?

In California, drop a note to help@cerf.net requesting information on
DIAL n' CERF ( CERFnet's low cost Dial Up Internet Access Service )

This information is also available through anonymous ftp to nic.cerf.net
in the cerfnet/cerfnet_info directory.

regards
--pushpendra
CERFnet Coordinator

medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (03/03/91)

In article <296@nic.cerf.net>, pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) writes:
|> In article <CEDMAN.91Feb26183835@lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) asks about Dial Up Access to the Internet :writes:
|>
|> >volumes ? Run remote X-Windows applications ? Is there a better
|> >solution for a similar price ? Will the internet administration charge
|> >me $10,000 a year ?
|> >

|> In California, drop a note to help@cerf.net requesting information on
|> DIAL n' CERF ( CERFnet's low cost Dial Up Internet Access Service )

Well, looks like it's time again for my usual statement that the Internet
is not a public data network, and in general, may not be used for private
or personal gain, but is aimed at supporting the academic, research, and
government communities.  Policies vary from place to place.  The U.S.
Government, and the organizations it subsidizes are not in the business of
providing data services for the public or commercial sectors.  PSInet and
UUnet and other network providers DO support these types of uses, though
when they pass traffic onto the NSFNet or other US Government networks,
they must abide by the policies in effect there.

So, while a "generic" individual can certainly get Internet access, it is generally not without strings, and all service providers need to make sure that
the approriate use policies are known and understood by their clients...

						Thanks,
						   Milo

PS Usual disclaimers apply...

campbell@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Paul Campbell) (03/04/91)

Officially, since the university is supplying you with the internet access,
their site license is what's involved. Depending on how paranoid your
university is, they may or may not let you set up a dial-up system. I have
worked with three different Michigan universities on similar projects
with varying degrees of freedom.
One is so security-paranoid that if they ever found out what their staff
was playing with after hours (I'm not even staff, just 'in the know'),
they would fire/exspell all involved.
One (Usenet feed+ftp's on a low-bandwidth basis) was actually helpful and
wanted to know what our results were for their own reference.
One was pretty much run by staff who didn't really care what we were
doing as long as it did not cause trouble for them.

As far as speed problems, forget X windows. It's just too much of a waste
on bandwidth, and system resources. It WILL run on 9600 baud links, but it is t
too slow to be very useful. This is generally true for all the graphics
environments that depend on transmitting graphical (bitmap) information across
the network. If it is run from local-materials, it should be fine.
Beyond that, as long as you remember that you are running on a 10Kbps
line instead of 10,000 Kbps, there are no problems.

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (03/04/91)

| From: campbell@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Paul Campbell)
|
| As far as speed problems, forget X windows. It's just too much of a waste
| on bandwidth, and system resources. It WILL run on 9600 baud links, but
| it is t too slow to be very useful. This is generally true for all the
| graphics environments that depend on transmitting graphical (bitmap)
| information across the network.

  In general yes, with regard to specific X11 products available, no.
Take a look at NCD's Xremote and GraphOn's X Terminal products.  I think
you'll be amazed at how well X11 works across the phone lines.

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (03/06/91)

>  In general yes, with regard to specific X11 products available, no.
>Take a look at NCD's Xremote and GraphOn's X Terminal products.  I think
>you'll be amazed at how well X11 works across the phone lines.

With V.42/V.42bis turned on, even a limited 19" Visual, with a "limited T2500"
(DTE limited to 19,200kbps) using V.32 is pretty impressive.  For this
we used a cisco MSM/2, so the IO was a little more "distributed".

I'd like to here about anyone using Xremote with a modem that will DTE
at 38.4kbps through a terminal server.  We have the modems (Datatel
rack mounts) but not the NCD.  I'll betcha it is a screamer especially
with an MSM/3.  It really makes you wonder about ISDN....

Marty

etac@levels.sait.edu.au (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar3.062659.29071@riacs.edu>, medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) writes:

> Well, looks like it's time again for my usual statement that the Internet
> is not a public data network, and in general, may not be used for private
> or personal gain, but is aimed at supporting the academic, research, and
> government communities.  Policies vary from place to place.  The U.S.
> Government, and the organizations it subsidizes are not in the business of
> providing data services for the public or commercial sectors.  PSInet and
> UUnet and other network providers DO support these types of uses, though
> when they pass traffic onto the NSFNet or other US Government networks,
> they must abide by the policies in effect there.
>
> So, while a "generic" individual can certainly get Internet access, it is generally not without strings, and all service providers need to make sure that
> the approriate use policies are known and understood by their clients...
>
>                                               Thanks,
>                                                  Milo

 Out of interest, and since you brought the subject up, for what purpose has
internet evolved.  Other than problems surounding possible legal liability,
what reasons are there for not permiting internet access to the public if they
are willing to pay for it.  I'm not suggesting internet should be publicly
accessable.  I'm curious to know what would be wrong with it.

Internert access from would of course be very handy to most internet users.

Andrew Chalmers

University of South Australia
Digital Communications Group (D.C.G.)
School of Electronic Engineering