[comp.dcom.modems] couple of notes

WILLIAMS@GAMMA.IS.TCU.EDU (03/06/91)

John Cummins of OkState writes:

It is my understanding of the HST dual standard that
1) If you want the best throughput and opt for a fixed link speed
between your computer and the modem,
2) And you want callers to be able to connect at v.32 or HST whichever
they are using...

You're out of luck.

Such was the argument that defeated my urge to purchase a dual standard.

Question:  If you DON'T use fixed link speeds, how can you take
advantage of data-compression???

I'm not sure where you've gotten your information, but this is simply
_not true_.  I have two V.32bis Dual Standards and they do, in fact, support
fixed link rates - all the way up to 38.4k, twice as fast as the port speed of
many other high speed modems - while allowing connections both to HST, V.32
and V.32bis callers.  The Dual Standards use ATB0 and ATB1 to select the
answer sequence (CCITT or HST).

marketing company)

_________________________________

Has there been any word on the CCITT V.32bis standard as the ballot closed some
days ago?  The consensus appeared to be that no changes were expected so those
companies with V.32bis models in production I'm sure are anxiously awaiting
confirmation of their investment.

TTFN,

Mark Williams
williams@gamma.is.tcu.edu

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/10/91)

 >From: WILLIAMS@GAMMA.IS.TCU.EDU

 >I called the CompuCom Corporation today to ask them about their
 >"revolutionary modem" and see if I could be a fly in their
 >ointment, so to speak.  They told me that their device was
 >asymetrical 9600/300 and she didn't know if it was autoswitching.

   I've read both electronic and printeed propoganda from CompuCom and did not
see any mention of asymmetric modulation.

   I've also heard claims that their modem, which is PC internal, uses an
NS16550AFV; I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm or deny this.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me