[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes Ultra 9600 in Europe

etstjan@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl (Jan van Oorschot) (03/09/91)

Hi,

We are thinking of "importing" a few cheap Hayes V9600 Ultra modem
to Europe through one of Amerika's Discount Warehouses.
The question is, will we have problems using these modems in
Europe. We are aware of potential problems like V220/V100, 50Hz/60Hz
and CCITT/BELL modulation. The power supply problem can be solved, and
we wonder about the modulation and other problems

Thanks for your time !

Jan

-- Ir. Jan van Oorschot.             --- Email: JPMvOorschot@et.tudelft.nl --
-- Data Network Performance Analysis Project                               --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --
-- P.O.Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands ------ Fax: (31)-15-784898 --

bpechey@ibmpcug.co.uk (Bill Pechey) (03/11/91)

>     etstjan@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl (Jan van Oorschot) says:

>We are thinking of "importing" a few cheap Hayes V9600 Ultra modem
>to Europe through one of Amerika's Discount Warehouses.
>The question is, will we have problems using these modems in
>Europe. We are aware of potential problems like V220/V100, 50Hz/60Hz
>and CCITT/BELL modulation. The power supply problem can be solved, and
>we wonder about the modulation and other problems

Jan,

Several points about your posting:

        1. Hayes Ultra 96 modems are approved and available in the
        Netherlands - you don't need to buy them from the US. The
        distributor is BestWare on +31 1 726 19209.

        2. There are many differences between the US version of the
        Ultra 96 and the one sold in the Netherlands; here's a
        non-exhaustive list:

                220v power transformer and Dutch power plug
                Dutch telephone cable and plug
                Dial-tone detection
                Many S-registers have different limits
                Pulse-dialling timing
                Line impedance (return loss)
                Ringing current detection

        3. A Hayes modem designed and approved for the country where
        you want to use it, will work more reliably and you will be
        able to get local support from the distributor or, in
        Europe, from Hayes' London office.

        4. Fortunately, the higher-speed modulation standards used
        in modems are standardized around the world so there
        shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

        5. It is, of course, against the law to connect non-approved
        modems to the telephone network.

Bill.

Bill Pechey                          Tel: +44 81 848 1858
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.   Fax: +44 81 848 0224
1 Roundwood Avenue                   Telex: 263098 HAYESK G
Stockley Park                               9312133830 HA G
Uxbridge                             Compuserve: 71601,2572
UB11 1AE                             Dialcom: 74:HAY001
United Kingdom                       Usenet: bpechey@hayes.uucp
                                             bpechey@ibmpcug.co.uk
                                             bpechey@cix.compulink.co.uk

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (03/12/91)

In article <.668460877@dutepp0> etstjan@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl (Jan van Oorschot) writes:
>Hi,
>
>We are thinking of "importing" a few cheap Hayes V9600 Ultra modem
>to Europe through one of Amerika's Discount Warehouses.
>The question is, will we have problems using these modems in
>Europe. We are aware of potential problems like V220/V100, 50Hz/60Hz
>and CCITT/BELL modulation. The power supply problem can be solved, and
>we wonder about the modulation and other problems
>
>Thanks for your time !
>
>Jan

   This, the use of "inexpensive" American modems in Europe is
   almost becoming a FAQ.

   As far as the Netherlands, the use of an American compliant
   modem is not legal....the penalties are unspecified in my
   sources, though...

   Warranties are rarely honored for modems brought in thru grey
   market channels...

Other than the legalities, I don't see any real technical
problems..

  o The US RJ-11 4-pin cable should fit the 6-pin jacks alleged
    to be available in the Netherlands...

  o The modem must answer on the 2nd ring.

  o The use of Busy Out is restricted....taking the modem
    off-hook for "lengthy" periods is not legal  (and this one
    would get you a conversation with the telco...)

  o The Pause Delay Dial modifiers are not to be used.  ( K k ,
    and < )  Actually they should not appear in the modem's
    menus.

  o Dial Wait time is max 40 seconds

  o Call Progress, including dial detection, must always be
    enabled.

  o Blind Dial is not allowed.

  o Dial Transmit level is nominal -6 dBm (US is -9...)

  o The modem must support Forbidden and Delayed Call. (Some US
    modems do this, but it is not required...)

Having noted all this, the Hayes Ultra is approved and available
in versions for the Netherlands...