[comp.dcom.modems] Modem compatibility in France

Martin Josso /mcj@chem.wayne.edu (03/12/91)

I am considering buying a modem for my Macintosh (a friend recommended Hayes
Ultra) but I shall be returning to France in a few months and I would like to
know if I might have problems. I brought back telephones and answering machines
before and they work fine with an adapter (different phone jacks). Any help is
appreciated.
                                              Martin Josso

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar11.221722.29792@cs.wayne.edu> Martin Josso /mcj@chem.wayne.edu writes:
>I am considering buying a modem for my Macintosh (a friend recommended Hayes
>Ultra) but I shall be returning to France in a few months and I would like to
>know if I might have problems. I brought back telephones and answering machines
>before and they work fine with an adapter (different phone jacks). Any help is
>appreciated.
>                                              Martin Josso

The US version of most modems is not legal in France.  If the
modem has a second jack for attaching a telephone, it doesn't
comply with local restrictions.   The dial tone length and pulse
cycle should be close enough it would work, and Xmit level is
within 1 dB of French requirements...you'll need a longer dial
wait for most exchanges...about 12 seconds.  You will also need
a local attachment cord.

The only other problems are in the autodialler interface--France
has some pretty strong laws prohibiting modems from dialling
humans...you are not allowed to redial a number within a
restricted time...and are not supposed to redial ANY number
after five tries...or after not getting a modem answer tone.

Note that virtually all countries except the United States are
quite picky about bringing in foreign modems--especially dial
units.  Typically if they are found in your luggage, they are
confiscated.