[comp.dcom.modems] Telebits and Suns

scott@tripos.com (Scott Seaton) (03/14/91)

	We have not been able to get our Telebit T1000 modems on our
Sun 4 to dial out and connect to other Telebits while in PEP mode.
Has anyone had any luck doing this

	Also has anyone had any experience with the T1600.  Specifically,
how does it compare to the T1000 for interactive applications e.g. editting
text files.

					Thanks,

					Scott Seaton

					scott@tripos.com

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar13.181641.12084@tripos.com> scott@tripos.com (Scott Seaton) writes:

>	We have not been able to get our Telebit T1000 modems on our
>Sun 4 to dial out and connect to other Telebits while in PEP mode.
>Has anyone had any luck doing this

Connecting to another Telebit modem in PEP mode can often require that
the S50 register be set to 255, and the S7 register set to a higher value
like 60 or 90.  If the other Telebit modem has the PEP answer tones last
in the sequence, your T1000 won't connect in PEP mode unless you make
the above changes before you dial.

That's my best guess, based on the detail you gave in your posting
(not very much, I'm afraid).  Try giving Telebit tech support a call.
They should be able to nail it down in 20 minutes or so.  1-800-TELEBIT
will get you there.

>	Also has anyone had any experience with the T1600.  Specifically,
>how does it compare to the T1000 for interactive applications e.g. editting
>text files.

The T1600 uses the V.32 modulation at 9600 bps rather than PEP.
It's widely recognized that PEP is less comfortable for interactive work
than full duplex modulations like V.32.  In a nutshell, I would say
that the T1600 would probably be "better" (i.e. more comfortable) than
the T1000 for text editing.

--
| Greg Andrews      |   gandrews@netcom.COM |