[comp.dcom.modems] Software mnp5 for a pc?

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (03/13/91)

Does there exist software for a dos pc that allows it to
use mnp5 protocol over a non-mnp modem?

thanks

bob prohaska
physics department
university of california
irvine, ca  92717

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/13/91)

In article <27DD3532.14016@orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:

>Does there exist software for a dos pc that allows it to
>use mnp5 protocol over a non-mnp modem?

Look for the terminal programs FlashLink or MTE.

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (03/13/91)

In article <27DD3532.14016@orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:

>Does there exist software for a dos pc that allows it to
>use mnp5 protocol over a non-mnp modem?

Yes. There are several varieties of an MNP5 emulator produced by a Chicago area
company called MagicSoft. (MTE and FlashLink are two names that come to
mind ... some of these are OEM products that are bundled in with modems).

Anyone reading this newsgroup will be quick to point out that you can never
get performance near to an MNP5 equipped modem because such devices operate
in a pseudo-synchronous mode that decreases overhead.

My own personal bias is that the price difference between an inexpensive MNP
modem and one without is equal to the cost of MTE.
Draw your own conclusions.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/13/91)

In article <27DD3532.14016@orion.oac.uci.edu>,
rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:

> Does there exist software for a dos pc that allows it to
> use mnp5 protocol over a non-mnp modem?

Yes, from at least two sources that I'm aware of.  The most popular
is MTEZ from MagicSoft, 376 E. St. Charles, Suite 300, Lombard IL
60148, voice 312-953-2374.  The president, Donavon Kuhn, can be
reached via email at 74010.1426@compuserve.com.  They also have a
BBS at 312-953-2366.  MTEZ is bundled with quite a few modems.

There is also an MNP5 software option that works with the Mirror III
comm program, but I've never used that.

The biggest drawback of MNP in software is that you're limited to
using the async framing technique (MNP2) rather than HDLC framing
(MNP3).  But it's better than no error control at all, if you have a
noisy line.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (03/14/91)

In article <3854.27de1f60@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

>Yes, from at least two sources that I'm aware of.  The most popular
>is MTEZ from MagicSoft, 376 E. St. Charles, Suite 300, Lombard IL
>60148, voice 312-953-2374.  The president, Donavon Kuhn, can be
>reached via email at 74010.1426@compuserve.com.  They also have a
>BBS at 312-953-2366.  MTEZ is bundled with quite a few modems.

Donovan Kuhn. Hmmm ... I know that name from somewhere.
USRobotics? The Courier 2400 era?

--

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.143022.7077@panix.uucp>, schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) writes:

> Donovan Kuhn. Hmmm ... I know that name from somewhere.
> USRobotics? The Courier 2400 era?

Yes, Donavon previously worked for USRobotics, and participated in
the writing of their initial MNP implementations, before leaving to
form his own company and write MTE.

--

wallach@motcid.UUCP (Cliff H. Wallach) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.143022.7077@panix.uucp> schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) writes:
->
-
-Donovan Kuhn. Hmmm ... I know that name from somewhere.
-USRobotics? The Courier 2400 era?
-
-

Yes.  Donovun wrote the Courier 2400 supervisor code for USR.  He also
originated the sysop discount for modems.  After a falling out with
USR, Donovun and John Niedfeld (another robotnik who worked on TELPAC)
incorporated and did MTE.  Every year they take turns being president.
Other former USR people have been associated with Magicsoft.

Cliff Wallach				...uunet!motcid!wallach