[comp.dcom.modems] hardshaking handshaking for mac plus and new macs?

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) (03/18/91)

ok, HOW can you do Hardware handshaking on a mac plus?
(or on a Classic, LC, or Si)  None of these has Pin 7
(known as GPi or general Purpose input)  hooked up
(apple got cheap and figured it wasn't neccessary)
thus you can hook up hardware handshaking but you lose carrier detect
(which is not acceptable!!!)
Can you use pin 8 - which is the extra receive pin
for carrier detect if the software is right????
if not, any other way???

thanks in advance,
Seth

Seth Cohn, Service Tech.  607-273-2815 voice 607-272-7002 BBS
All things posted are opinions by me, of me, for me, or to me.
And another thing..........I'm not sure you're real.

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/19/91)

In article <Tesyy4w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us>,
sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) writes:

> ok, HOW can you do Hardware handshaking on a mac plus?
> (or on a Classic, LC, or Si)  None of these has Pin 7
> (known as GPi or general Purpose input)  hooked up
> (apple got cheap and figured it wasn't neccessary)
> thus you can hook up hardware handshaking but you lose carrier detect
> (which is not acceptable!!!)

Sorry -- on a Mac, you have only one output and one input.  You can
either use them for Carrier Detect and DTR, or RTS/CTS -- but not
both.  If you use them for RTS/CTS, you have to use the "+++" escape
sequence and ATH command to hang up, and watch result codes to know
when you're connected.  If you use them for DCD and DTR, you need to
use another flow control scheme (XON/XOFF or Transparent XON/XOFF,
if you have a modem that supports it).

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404