[comp.dcom.modems] Does UUNET still have the best deal on T2500's?

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (03/05/91)

I'm ready to buy one.  If not UUNET, who?

Thanks in advance.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

lmb@sat.com (Larry Blair) (03/06/91)

Uunet never had the best deal.  Several times I've posted info about a
company named Andataco that was cheaper than uunet.  They are in San Diego.
I don't have all the info here, but my rolo shows:

Joshua Wells
(805)523-8980

He runs an Orange county office.

I've also bought Annex terminal servers from them.
--
Larry Blair   lmb@sat.com   {apple,decwrl}!sat!lmb

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (03/06/91)

lmb@sat.com (Larry Blair) writes:

>Uunet never had the best deal.  Several times I've posted info about a
>company named Andataco that was cheaper than uunet.  They are in San Diego.
>I don't have all the info here, but my rolo shows:

>Joshua Wells
>(805)523-8980

>He runs an Orange county office.

Actually, Josh told me he runs it out of a spare bedroom at home.

His price on the Telebit T1600 was $550, on allocation (2-3 weeks delay)
His price on the Telebit T2500 was $870, shipment right away.

I hate to say it, but DDMI has a better price on the T1600, and I think
on the T2500 as well.  If the guy wasn't so inconsiderate on the net.....

Michael Nolan
nolan@helios.unl.edu

evanc@isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) (03/08/91)

Sorry for my ignorance, but you were talking about DDMI.  What is it?
Thanks.

Evan Champion
evanc@isishq.fidonet.org

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar06.015118.4919@sat.com> lmb@sat.com (Larry Blair) writes:
]Uunet never had the best deal.  Several times I've posted info about a
]company named Andataco that was cheaper than uunet.  They are in San Diego.
]I don't have all the info here, but my rolo shows:
]
]Joshua Wells
](805)523-8980

Andataco also has an 800 number if you want to save on phone bills :-).
The number is 800-334-9191. I've bought T2500 modems from both UUNET and
Andataco. Both places are ok. Andataco is a little cheaper as I recall.
--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar06.015118.4919@sat.com> lmb@sat.com (Larry Blair) writes:
"Uunet never had the best deal.  Several times I've posted info about a
"company named Andataco that was cheaper than uunet.  They are in San Diego.
"I don't have all the info here, but my rolo shows:
"

We are also a TB distributor. We offer a special SYSOP deal which
does include the T2500. We aren't really supposed to advertise on
the net, so I better shut up now.

Info on Telebit modems can be had from site 'tygra' via anonymous
UUCP: 1-313-343-0800 (USR HST) or 1-313-343-2926 (T2500 PEP). Login
as nuucp, no password. Get the files /cat/pub/uucp/Telebit-Prices and
/cat/pub/uucp/Sysop-Deal. Get the file /cat/pub/filelist for a list of
other files available.

--
Michigan Network Systems        Technical Support Division
Telebit/SCO/Digiboard Reseller  BBS: +1 313 343 0800

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (03/10/91)

tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:

>We are also a TB distributor. We offer a special SYSOP deal which
>does include the T2500. We aren't really supposed to advertise on
>the net, so I better shut up now.

>Info on Telebit modems can be had from site 'tygra' via anonymous
>UUCP: <<<<< PHONE NUMBERS CENSORED >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hmmm.  The 'tygra' stalks again...

I've always wondered whether any of these 'sysop' deals extend to USENET
newsfeed sites.  Probably not, since one of the conditions is generally
a plug for the vendor's modems in the motd, and there isn't any motd for
a UUCP connection, or at least nobody to read it.  :-)

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (03/11/91)

In article <nolan.668539043@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:
"tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:
"
">We are also a TB distributor. We offer a special SYSOP deal which
">does include the T2500. We aren't really supposed to advertise on
">the net, so I better shut up now.
"
">Info on Telebit modems can be had from site 'tygra' via anonymous
">UUCP: <<<<< PHONE NUMBERS CENSORED >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"
"Hmmm.  The 'tygra' stalks again...
"
"I've always wondered whether any of these 'sysop' deals extend to USENET
"newsfeed sites.  Probably not, since one of the conditions is generally
"a plug for the vendor's modems in the motd, and there isn't any motd for
"a UUCP connection, or at least nobody to read it.  :-)

Yes - it applies to any "BBS", including public access UNIX sites and
other sites. No - you don't need to put anything in /etc/motd. We had
a guy who asked if he could do a group buy of T2500's for his users on
his BBS at the SYSOP price. The answer was (and is) YES. The only
restriction is: You must be a BBS Sysop and we must be able to verify
this (by calling your site).

Please ask these questions of us via E-MAIL. We aren't supposed to be
discussing this in any groups except the "biz" hierarchy. The rules are
very strict regarding advertising.

--
CAT-TALK Conferencing System   |  "Buster Bunny is an abused | E-MAIL:
+1 313 343 0800 (USR HST)      |   child. Trust me - I'm a   | cat@tygra.UUCP

drmath@moocow.uucp (Doctor Math) (03/13/91)

This properly belongs in flamage, but...

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:

> Please ask these questions of us via E-MAIL. We aren't supposed to be
> discussing this in any groups except the "biz" hierarchy. The rules are
> very strict regarding advertising.

Good, you're learning..

> --
> CAT-TALK Conferencing System   |  "Buster Bunny is an abused | E-MAIL:
> +1 313 xxx xxxx (USR HST)      |   child. Trust me - I'm a   | cat@tygra.UUCP
> +1 313 xxx xxxx (TELEBIT PEP)  |   professional..."          | ..sharkey!tygr
> ********EIGHT NODES*********** |   -- Roger Rabbit           | ..cat

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ... but isn't THIS "advertising"? (numbers censored)
*** Doctor Math

Disclaimer: My company works for me; I tell them what to think.

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (03/15/91)

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) writes:

> tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:
>
> >We are also a TB distributor. We offer a special SYSOP deal which
> >does include the T2500. We aren't really supposed to advertise on
> >the net, so I better shut up now.
>
> I've always wondered whether any of these 'sysop' deals extend to USENET
> newsfeed sites.  Probably not, since one of the conditions is generally
> a plug for the vendor's modems in the motd, and there isn't any motd for
> a UUCP connection, or at least nobody to read it.  :-)

I faxed Michigan Network after seeing an add in some mag and got
back a long price list and the information that they would, indeed,
give the sysop special to me and I am running a UUCP connected
site. But the "special" isn't really so special, compared to the
regular prices they show. For further info you might fax them at
313-343-2928 or call them voice at 800-736-5984.

Please note: I am in no way connected with Michigan and haven't
             even bought anything from them; but I do appreciate
             their timely and informative faxed replies.

--Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

In article <X8LVy6w163w@aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:
> nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) writes:
>
> I faxed Michigan Network after seeing an add in some mag and got
> back a long price list and the information that they would, indeed,
> give the sysop special to me and I am running a UUCP connected
> site. But the "special" isn't really so special, compared to the
> regular prices they show.

Not too surprising, since most Manufacturer's "SYSOP" deals involve
low/non-existant profit margins and direct sales which bypass
distribution overhead.

Any dealer/distributor can offer their own "SYSOP" deal, but unless
they are getting special price from the manufacturer, they can't cut
too deep into their margin, and further have far less assurance that
secondary sales as a result of their promotional pricing will end up
in their pocket...

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/20/91)

Remember, "Michigan Network Systems" is really DDMI.

DDMI's management have a well-deserved black eye for their antisocial
net.behavior.  Don't let the new name fool you.

Boycott DDMI/MNS.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
 "Most of my code is written by myself.  That is why so little gets done."