[comp.dcom.modems] PPI PM9600SA failure rates

lma@dayton.Stanford.EDU (Larry Augustin) (03/20/91)

We bought 8 PM9600SA modems in December.  3 have failed so far, all
with the same symptoms - they can no longer go off hook.  Is this
typical?  PPI has replaced all the failed modems reasonably quickly,
but you still have to wonder about their quality control.  Don't they
do any burn-in testing?

Anyone else have similar problems?

Larry M. Augustin			ERL 414
lma@sierra.stanford.edu			Computer Systems Lab
lma@dayton.stanford.edu			Stanford University
(415) 723-9285				Stanford, CA 94305
--
Larry M. Augustin			   _         _      _     ____
ARPA: lma@sierra.stanford.edu		  | |	    |  \__/  |	| (__) |
BITNET: lma%sierra.stanford.edu@stanford  | |	    | |\  /| |	|  __  |
UUCP:...!ucbvax!sierra.stanford.edu!lma   | |____   | | \/ | |	| |  | |
AT&T: (415) 324-4929			  |______|  |_|    |_|	|_|  |_|

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (03/20/91)

In article <284@dayton.stanford.edu> lma@dayton.Stanford.EDU (Larry Augustin) writes:
>We bought 8 PM9600SA modems in December.  3 have failed so far, all
>with the same symptoms - they can no longer go off hook.  Is this
>typical?  PPI has replaced all the failed modems reasonably quickly,
>but you still have to wonder about their quality control.  Don't they
>do any burn-in testing?
>
>Anyone else have similar problems?

I have had 4 instances of modems not going off hook in the past 10
years.

The strangest was a Trailblazer that when I described it to TB's
tech-support they didn't believe it and had to call in to my modem
to confirm it.

The TB would get a ring signal.  The light on the front would show
off-hook, signals sent to the machine saying there was a call, but
still the modem was off-hook.

Every one of these failures was attributed to a failure of the
relay.

I suspect the relay contacts fused.  All it takes is a good surge
on a phone line from anything from lightning to an accident
toppling a power pole onto a phone line.

Burning in won't detect that failure.   Could be they had a bad
batch of relays from a supplier.

Could also be that I am on the wrong track :-).

bill

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP