[comp.dcom.modems] Who has V.32bis, How do INTEL/Practical Peripherals/USR stack up

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (03/21/91)

chuck@irene.mit.edu (PARSONS, CHARLES) writes:

>   That is it claimed the USR dual standard was terrible for bad line
> conditions, I had just about settled on USR until that. Is it true??
> Also it didn't have reviews of Intel an Practical Pheripherals, two second
> choices. Anybody have any info on those?

I tried to use a USR DS on link to Tallin, Estonia and/or Helsinki,
Finland.  When I tried to upload, it would send a bit and then get
into some kind of retrain/change speed loop where the lights would
wink and blink and wink and blink ... and no data came through. The
only way I could manage the link was to step down to 2400 BPS MNP5,
but I already had a modem that would do that :-(

Further testing seemed to indicate that it sending to a normal kind
of BBS/system that echoes back what you send it just doesn't work
very well with the HST mode. Other people have told me that they
have used the USR DS for sending with non-ASCII protocols and it
works OK.

But I myself gave up on the USR and changed to Telebits and they
are more to my liking as I can control so many more things to
configure what the modem is doing in light of the kind of
conditions I'm encountering.

--Dave