[comp.dcom.modems] What means "bis" and "ter"?

jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) (03/21/91)

What is the meaning of the "bis" in V.32bis and V.42bis and the "ter"
in V.27ter?   Are there any more of these little suffixes, and
what do they mean?  Finally,  is there any particular meaning to the
assignment of numbers for V or X series standards?

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/21/91)

In article <10207@pitt.UUCP>, jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) writes:

> What is the meaning of the "bis" in V.32bis and V.42bis and the "ter"
> in V.27ter?   Are there any more of these little suffixes, and
> what do they mean?  Finally,  is there any particular meaning to the
> assignment of numbers for V or X series standards?

The CCITT (which is based in Geneva, a French-speaking area) uses
"bis" to indicate the second in a family of related standards, and
"ter" to indicate the third.  I think "quatre" would come next, but
I can't say I've ever seen one.

The assignment of number is NOT in ascending numeric order.  The V
series recommendations, for example, are broken up into several
categories:

	V.1-V.7		General
	V.10-V.33	Interfaces and voice-band modems
	V.35-V.37	Wideband modems
	V.40-V.42	Error control
	V.50-V.57	Transmission quality and maintenance
	V.100-V.230	Interworking with other networks

Within various groups, the numbers have been more or less assigned
in ascending order chronologically.  There is NO direct correlation
between the "speed" at which a modem operates and its numeric
assignment.  It is best to simply consider CCITT number of
recommendations to be RANDOM, and leave it at that.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (03/22/91)

Bis and ter are French words meaning, respectively, second and third.
For example, a street address of 123bis Rue Maillot means two buildings
exist between numbers 121 and 125; one of them is the "second instance"
of address 123.

As for X. standards, bis and ter seem to indicate second and third
revisions of a standard.

Bis is pronounced like "beese".  Ter is pronounced like the first
syllable in terrible ;-)

Regards,
--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/22/91)

In article <10207@pitt.UUCP> jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
>What is the meaning of the "bis" in V.32bis and V.42bis and the "ter"
>in V.27ter?   Are there any more of these little suffixes, and
>what do they mean?  Finally,  is there any particular meaning to the
>assignment of numbers for V or X series standards?

bis == a second time
ter == a third time

Latin words.

The French would number some intermediate dwelling between
Numbers 20 and 21 as 20bis where we might use 20A.

When we want more from a concert artist, we shout the French
word "encore', while the French would shout "bis" instead.

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341