[comp.dcom.modems] Who has V.32bis, How do INTEL/Practical Peripherals/USR stack up?

chuck@irene.mit.edu (PARSONS, CHARLES) (03/21/91)

    I've been frantically trying to get information on modems for a
system request going out tomorrow. I got the PC Magazine review of
9600 baud modems, but it just complicated things 8-)!

  That is it claimed the USR dual standard was terrible for bad line
conditions, I had just about settled on USR until that. Is it true??
Also it didn't have reviews of Intel an Practical Pheripherals, two second
choices. Anybody have any info on those?

  In reading this group I saw several references to Intel suporting V32.bis
but no details, are they oferring upgrades? How much $$?

Thanks for any info,

Chuck@mitlns.mit.edu

rdippold@gdansk.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.182236.8663@athena.mit.edu> chuck@irene.mit.edu writes:

>    I've been frantically trying to get information on modems for a
>system request going out tomorrow. I got the PC Magazine review of
>9600 baud modems, but it just complicated things 8-)!
>
>  That is it claimed the USR dual standard was terrible for bad line
>conditions, I had just about settled on USR until that. Is it true??
>Also it didn't have reviews of Intel an Practical Pheripherals, two second
>choices. Anybody have any info on those?

For one thing, if you are talking about the December 1990 review of V.32
modems, remember that they only tested them in V.32 mode.  As far as I've
been able to tell from playing around with my Dual Standard, the USR
implementation of V.32 is inferior to its implementation of the HST protocol.
I consistently get better throughput at 9600 bps in HST mode versus 9600 bps
in V.32 mode.  It works great in HST mode over semi-noisy lines, I don't
know about very noisy lines or in V.32 mode.

If your primary criteria is V.32 compatability, I wouldn't reccomend the USR
DS.  You'd just be wasting most of the power, and other modems perform better
in V.32 mode.  However, if you want V.32 compatability and the extra speed
of V.32bis, the Dual Standards are the only modems I know of that have that
available right now.

Finally, if you are just wanting to hook some computers together and never
call anyone else, you could get some Telebit Trailblazers and transfer data
at 19,200 bps.

news@armon.rain.com (Mehdi Attaran) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar20.182236.8663@athena.mit.edu> chuck@irene.mit.edu writes:

>  In reading this group I saw several references to Intel suporting V32.bis
>but no details, are they oferring upgrades? How much $$?

Although Intel has announced that they will have a V32bis upgrade for their
9600EX modem in 1991, they have not announced the specific date and the cost
as of this writing.

--
..!uunet!m2xenix!armon!news  news@armon.rain.com  (Mehdi Attaran)