[comp.dcom.modems] SLIP questions

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.135714.9446@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>We run slip via a leased line between a pair of usr v.32/v.32bis/v.42bis
>modems and get throughput on text file (using ftp) around 3.1 kb/sec
>and around 1.7kb/sec sending compressed binary data.

I've heard of this SLIP and would like to know more.  What hard/soft wares
are required?  Which operating system?  UNIX only?  Any info would be
greatly appreciated.
--
 __  fordke@ingr.com, ...!uunet!ingr!{fordke,infonode!umagic!sysop}
/  \ Micro Magic CBCS  1:373/12  (205)830-2362  sysop@umagic.fidonet.org

jparnas@larouch (Jacob Parnas) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.212535.14153@infonode.ingr.com>, fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:

|> I've heard of this SLIP and would like to know more.  What hard/soft wares
|> are required?  Which operating system?  UNIX only?  Any info would be
|> greatly appreciated.

SLIP is serial line IP.  You can run any IP application over the serial
line, like X, rcp, rlogin, telnet, ftp, etc.

It is supported on many platforms including BSD UNIX, AIX for the RS/6000,
SunOS, DOS (ka9q) and OS/2 with TCP/IP from IBM and probably many others.

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |