[comp.dcom.modems] PEP compatable modems?

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) (03/26/91)

Strange request I realize -- but, I have a friend that needs to
communicate with other trailblazer sites.  Unfortunately for him, some
company politial situation will not allow him to purchase Telebit
modems.   So, are there ANY PEP compatable modems other than
telebit????

Thanks, in advance.....

--
Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022

erhall@cdp.UUCP (03/27/91)

Jim Ray  (jdr@semi.harris.com) writes:
 >Strange request I realize -- but, I have a friend that needs to
 >communicate with other trailblazer sites.  Unfortunately for him, some
 >company politial situation will not allow him to purchase Telebit
 >modems.   So, are there ANY PEP compatible modems other than
 >telebit????

   If your friend can purchase Telebit modems that are sold under
another name, he may be in luck.  Four years (and two jobs) ago, I
worked at a place that had a set of rack-mount Trailblazers -- except
that someone else's name was on it.  Trouble is, for the life of me I
can't remember what major modem manufacturer OEM'd them from Telebit.
The best guess is that it was either Codex or Microcom.  Inmac or Black
Box also used to sell Trailblazer modems under their own label, but
their latest catalogs don't contain them anymore.

   However if your friend is afraid of repercussions if this trick is
discovered for what it is, he's out of luck.  Only Telebit makes PEP
modems.  The best he could do would be to purchase a decent V.32(bis)
modem and hope the remote Telebits will negotiate with it to an
acceptable speed.

Earl Hall     | via PeaceNet:                   | GEnie: ERHALL
Chicago IL    | cdp!erhall@labrea.stanford.edu  | +1 312 685 9735

mark@grout.UUCP (Mark Oberg) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.060842.3978@mlb.semi.harris.com> jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:

>Strange request I realize -- but, I have a friend that needs to
>communicate with other trailblazer sites.  Unfortunately for him, some
>company politial situation will not allow him to purchase Telebit
>modems.   So, are there ANY PEP compatable modems other than
>telebit????
>
>Thanks, in advance.....
>
>Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
>Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022
>Phone:     (407) 729-5059              Melbourne, FL  32901

The PEP technology is licensed to a few other companies (or OEM modems manu-
factured for them).  VenTel used to have one and DCA has ones called Fastlink.
Your friend is still buying Telebit, but at least it wont *say* Telebit on
the box.....

Mark

--
Mark Oberg - Voice: Northstar Telecom, Inc.  (301) 964-0505
UUCP: uunet!grout!mark