[comp.dcom.modems] Access to the electronic frontier: ISDN

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.182935.17931@infoac.rmi.de> rmohr@infoac.rmi.de (Rupert Mohr) writes:

   >still be so anxious for ISDN (with its $200 install and $1,500 Terminal
   >Adaptor)?

   Terminaladapter here:  DM 850,00 = $ 566  (Install = just plug in)
   TCP/IP with 64kB + header compression is fun. FTP 150 k in seconds...

this is tcp/ip into an MS-DOS system, a VME card, ?

do you have prices, ordering details, etc?  any confirmed working with
USA ISDN offerings?  list of users who are happy with it?  links which
are using it?

this isn't strictly appropriate for efftalk, I'm cross-posting to (hm)
the modems group; drag the discussion there if you think it's worth
pursuing.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

hutch@ticnj.UUCP (-Robert Hutchison) (03/25/91)

There are, IMHO, a few major stumbling blocks that need to be resolved
before we see ISDN gain widespread acceptance.

1) Non-Centrex ISDN tarriff.  Currently, ISDN lines are very expensive
to install - not because they have to be, but rather because of how
the tarrifs are set up.  To install, let's say, 3 ISDN lines in the
same Centrex group, it may cost a few thousand dollars (US) and might
cost up to a few hundred a month for basic service (plus toll
charges).   When Non-Centrex ISDN (BRI) is approved, we will see in
the order of $50 installation and rates comparible with analog
service.  That should halp a bit.

2) Lack of connectivity.  Currently, you can only talk ISDN-ISDN
between machines that are connected using SS7.  If your's is not
connected to others as such, you can ISDN-ISDN with others on your
same CO switch (might not be too bad for a University or large
company, but then again they probably have their own PBXs anyway).
The telcos are starting to fix this.

3) Lack of APIs.  There are several ISDN terminal adapters on the
market from companies such as AT&T, Hayes, Teleos, NCR and others.
Some use an extended INT14 interface (under DOS), some NetBIOS, some
Hayes AT command set), and they are all fairly different.  Also, there
is no widespread UNIX support (a couple of companies have made limited
attempts at supplying UNIX drivers, but nothing comprehensive so far).

For me, when problem 1 is fixed, I'll be ordering my lines.  For many
other applications developers (the ISDN pioneers), they will probably
wait for progress on problem #2.  For many applications developers,
they will probably wait for #3.

Currently, ISDN boards can be found from about $500 and up, but if you
want 64Kb-B-channels to send data, you will probably have to spend
about $1000 or more.  Boards typically come with support tools for
applications developers.  None that I am familiar with use data
compression, although V.42bis contains instructions for implementing
compression over ISDN.

If you would like more information, send me mail at
...!princeton!sinc!hutch or contact me at the address/phone below.  I
will no longer have access to this account as of the end of this week
(3/31/91), so don't reply to this posting address.

Robert Hutchison			Softright, Inc.
(609) 443-3028				ISDN Software Development
					..!princeton!sinc!hutch

SMALL AD:	(hope nobody objects)
If anyone reading this needs (of knows of someone who needs) ISDN
drivers (UNIX or DOS) or ISDN applications, please let me know.

randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (03/31/91)

Robert, generally I agree with your list of ISDN stumbling blocks; I
think the APIs are less of block than apparent -- we have enough APIs
to get started with.

As for the problem of tariffs and ISDN switch connectivity -- these
are problems with potential political solutions.  If we users get
together and lobby the telephone companies and public utilities
commissions for them, we can probably persuade them to offer the
services.  Do you know if the telcos have ever actually applied for
non-Centrex tariffs, Robert?  In California I have the impression they
have not.

   nd t
 ou    ui
R Press  T  __Randolph Fritz  sun!cognito.eng!randolph || randolph@eng.sun.com
 ou    ui     Mountain View, California, North America, Earth
   nd t