[comp.dcom.modems] Help Please!

shf6774@rigel.tamu.edu (FUENTEZ, SAUL HIRAM) (03/22/91)

Does anyone out there in modemland know how to connect to a BBS (modem #) from
a vax account?  I would really, really appreciate any suggestions!  Thanks in
advance.  E-mail: SHF6774@RIGEL.TAMU.EDU.

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/27/91)

In article <13586@helios.TAMU.EDU>, shf6774@rigel.tamu.edu (FUENTEZ, SAUL HIRAM) writes:

> Does anyone out there in modemland know how to connect to a BBS (modem #) from
> a vax account?  I would really, really appreciate any suggestions!  Thanks in
> advance.  E-mail: SHF6774@RIGEL.TAMU.EDU.
The simplest, crudest way: get a modem suitable for use w/ the BBS, an A/B
switchbox, two appropriately terminated data cables, and a suitable length of
appropriately terminated phone cord -- if there's a cable coming out of the
wall feeding your VAX terminal -- plug that cable into the  A  port of the
A/B switchbox, connect one of the data cables between the modem and the  B  port
of the A/B switchbox, connect the other data cable between the port on your
terminal that the VAX line used to connect to and the COMMON port of the A/B
switchbox, and use the phone cord to connect the modem to a phone line,
either at a wall junction box or at the L1 and L2 connection points on the
network box inside an actual phone.  With  A  selected, you'll be on line
with the VAX; with  B  selected, you'll be online with your modem (you may have
to enter Terminal Set-Up to change communications parameters every time) from
your terminal and will be able to make it dial out and connect by using the
standard ATDxxxxxxxx commands, etc.  But don't expect to transfer files between
VAX and BBS.

Simple still but slightly less crude: make a more sophisticated switchbox than
the simple A/B's that are so readily available, so as to be able at will to
a) have your terminal simply online with the VAX;
b) have your terminal simply online with the modem;
c) have your keyboard (KB) feeding the modem, while the modem data output feeds
the VAX's input, and the VAX's output feeds your terminal's display tube (CRT);
d) have your KB feeding the VAX, while responses from the VAX go to your modem,
and the BBS responses via your modem go to your CRT.

I've built myself such a device, it's a simple exercise in mechanical switching
circuit design to come up with the appropriate dual multi-pole double-throw
switchbox circuitry and an afternoon's work, once you have the necessary parts,
to cobble such a box and the necessary cables together -- and, provided both
your BBS system and your VAX are willing to use the same communications
parameters, you should have no impossible problems using it (mine's just dandy).

-- Fred   <FLINTON@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU>  <fejlinton@{att|mci}mail.COM>

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (03/31/91)

 In article <13586@helios.TAMU.EDU>, shf6774@rigel.tamu.edu (FUENTEZ, SAUL HIRAM) writes:

> Does anyone out there in modemland know how to connect to a BBS (modem #) from
> a vax account?  I would really, really appreciate any suggestions!  Thanks in
> advance.  E-mail: SHF6774@RIGEL.TAMU.EDU.

If the VAX has a terminal port with a modem on it, or, via reverse LAT, there
is a modem accessible on some terminal server out on ethernet, you can
simply: SET HOST /DTE <port-name>

You can also add /LOG=logfile.log

but that is a crude way to capture data.

If you only need terminal access, and need no file transfer, the set host /dte
is ok, but if you want other features, use KERMIT. If you seek some
level of automatic dialing and/or scripting, you should look additionally
at Robin Miller's VAXNET that has appeared over the years on DECUS SIG tapes,
or at Stu Fuller's HOST32.

The latest version of VAXNET I have heard of has some problem using
terminal server ports, but many love it and use it on directly connect
ports. Anything on DECUS sig tapes is public domain.

HOST32 can be downloaded from COMPUSERVE where Stu is a SYSOP. He is also
active on the DECUS BBS called DECUSERVE, and I believe he has supplied
copies to those that have asked him for it there. It is NOT public domain,
but I believe there is no charge for it.

Additionally, you can use HOST32 to automate the connection to the far machine,
and then spawn KERMIT if you like.