[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes Smartmodem 9600 troubles

gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher) (03/04/91)

Please forgive me if this is the wrong newsgroup, and if it is, then
just hit 'r' and tell me where the right one is and I will go away.

I have been evaluating Hayes Smartmodem 9600 V.42 modems, and have had some
interesting results.  Going UUCP, the modems connect at 9600, and have their
distinctive connect tones, but the best throughput on the line has been 311
characters per second (for a 121 K file).  Is there a special UUCP setup that
these modems require in order to get speeds comparable of a 9600 modem?  I
may be wrong, but I was under the impression that 9600 baud means 960 cps.
I realize that 960cps is a total dream-world, but I am only getting 1/3 of
that, and 2/3 overhead for uucico communication is hardly what I would
expect.

Next question:  Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to get the
modem to connect 9600 to anything but another Hayes?  How can modem companies
get away with this proprietary-ism when so many people are screaming for
open systems?  We want open systems, but we settle for proprietary connections
between them?  This is absurd!  OK, I did not come here to give speeches, and
I apologize for wasting bandwidth.  I would, however, appreciate any help,
suggestions, whatever, in response to my questions (or even just a pointer
to which newsgroup this belongs).  Thank you very much for your time.

		-- Gordon.
--
Gordon C. Galligher	9127 Potter Rd. #2E	Des Plaines, IL    60016-4881
gorpong@ping.chi.il.us    gorpong%ping@uu.psi.com   ...!uu.psi.com!ping!gorpong

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar4.025731.21550@ping.chi.il.us>,
gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:

> I have been evaluating Hayes Smartmodem 9600 V.42 modems, and have had some
> interesting results.  Going UUCP, the modems connect at 9600, and have their
> distinctive connect tones, but the best throughput on the line has been 311
> characters per second (for a 121 K file).  Is there a special UUCP setup that
> these modems require in order to get speeds comparable of a 9600 modem?  I
> may be wrong, but I was under the impression that 9600 baud means 960 cps.
> I realize that 960cps is a total dream-world, but I am only getting 1/3 of
> that, and 2/3 overhead for uucico communication is hardly what I would
> expect.

Like any other error-control modem, the VSM9600 performs best with a
protocol that doesn't stop and wait for acknowledgements after every
frame.  I'm not familiar enough with UUCP to suggest what settings
or alternatives you might have to consider to make it work better.
The VSM9600 generally works better than PEP with stop-and-wait
protocols because its turnaround time is so much faster, but there
will nevertheless be some degradation from optimum.

> Next question:  Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to get the
> modem to connect 9600 to anything but another Hayes?

Yes.

> How can modem companies
> get away with this proprietary-ism when so many people are screaming for
> open systems?

When the VSM9600 was developed, V.32 modems were selling for
$2,500+.  People were screaming for _speed_ more than they were
screaming for _compatibility_ or _compliance_.  Hayes, USRobotics,
Microcom, Telebit, Racal-Vadic, and a bunch of other companies
responded by (1) continuing to work hard on technology that would
bring down the cost of V.32 modems, and (2) introducing, as an
interim solution, proprietary, non-standard modulation schemes that
could be implemented at a lower cost.  These were assumed to be
viable for some period of time (a couple of years maybe?) until
technology got to the point where standardized schemes could be
implemented and sold for an acceptable price (less than the cost of
the PC, for example).

> We want open systems, but we settle for proprietary connections
> between them?

Not everybody WANTS open systems!  There are many people who
specifically choose proprietary, non-standard modems because it
limits the number of modems that can connect with their systems, and
therefore limits the number of possible security violations.  Others
like the lower cost of the non-standard schemes, and are willing to
give up compatibility for that.  But it's a mistake to buy a
non-standard product in hope that it will become a widespread
standard.  One buys non-standard high-speed modems because one has a
relatively closed environment with control over both ends of the
connection, has an immediate need for high-speed data, and believes
that the benefits of the higher speed will pay back the investment
in the non-standard modem fast enough that the incompatibility with
the standard is not important.  Many, many people made these
calculations, and bought non-standard high-speed modems as a result.
Would I do it today?  Probably not, unless I had a significant
installed base of a particular type of modem for which I wanted to
retain _internal_ compatibility, but even then I'd opt for a modem
that provided both the non-standard modulation and V.32 (which most
vendors have on the market today).  I can't imagine, with the low
cost of V.32 modems today, buying a new non-standard high-speed
modem that has no installed base at all.

	-- Toby

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (03/04/91)

gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:

>I have been evaluating Hayes Smartmodem 9600 V.42 modems, and have had some
>interesting results.  Going UUCP, the modems connect at 9600, and have their
>distinctive connect tones, but the best throughput on the line has been 311
>characters per second (for a 121 K file).  Is there a special UUCP setup that
>these modems require in order to get speeds comparable of a 9600 modem?  I
>may be wrong, but I was under the impression that 9600 baud means 960 cps.

Yes 960 cps means 9600 baud - but doing uucp with these modems in the real
world only yields throughput of around 350 cps.  Likewise the HST modems which
produce transfers in the 1650 cps range using zmodem, but uucp throughput with
the HST runs around 350 cps as well.

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (03/04/91)

gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:

>Please forgive me if this is the wrong newsgroup, and if it is, then
>just hit 'r' and tell me where the right one is and I will go away.

>I have been evaluating Hayes Smartmodem 9600 V.42 modems, and have had some
>interesting results.  Going UUCP, the modems connect at 9600, and have their
>distinctive connect tones, but the best throughput on the line has been 311
>characters per second (for a 121 K file).  Is there a special UUCP setup that
>these modems require in order to get speeds comparable of a 9600 modem?  I
>may be wrong, but I was under the impression that 9600 baud means 960 cps.
>I realize that 960cps is a total dream-world, but I am only getting 1/3 of
>that, and 2/3 overhead for uucico communication is hardly what I would
>expect.

If your machine supports RTS/CTS flow control, I recommend setting your
9600 to 19200. This will speed things up. We use Hayes 9600 modems with
our in-house protocol, and find them faster than many other modem (strictly
on our in-house protocol, which we tweaked).

>Next question:  Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to get the
>modem to connect 9600 to anything but another Hayes?  How can modem companies
>get away with this proprietary-ism when so many people are screaming for
>open systems?  We want open systems, but we settle for proprietary connections
>between them?  This is absurd! ...

Not absurd, just unfortunate. Before there was a V.32, we upgraded to
19200 using the Hayes 9600 V-Series. We had several hundred clients purchase
these modems. We now have to support those clients. (So we have purchased
a bunch of Hayes Ultra modems, to support the old and the new.) Similar
logic applies to other manufacturers' proprietary protocols.

Then you have things like the Telebit spoofing -- once again, there is no
standard for spoofing modems.  It takes two of the same manufacturer's modems
to get the speedup. If the community demands it, a standard can be created
for just about anything, including spoofing over V.32.

The nature of innovation is that it usually occurs before standardization.
When you want to do something better than the existing standard, you go
off and do it, and then try to get your way declared to be a standard.
Other people do the same.  The standard grows from the combined experience
of the innovators.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.

david@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us (David Schachter) (03/05/91)

In article <3827.27d24b3a@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
>Like any other error-control modem, the VSM9600 performs best with a
>protocol that doesn't stop and wait for acknowledgements after every
>frame.  I'm not familiar enough with UUCP to suggest what settings
>or alternatives you might have to consider to make it work better.
>The VSM9600 generally works better than PEP with stop-and-wait
>protocols because its turnaround time is so much faster, but there
>will nevertheless be some degradation from optimum.

Toby is being a bit disingenuous here.  His "The VSM9600 generally works better
than PEP with stop-and-wait protocols" is true for non-spoofed protocols.  The
original interrogative was why the Hayes modem runs like a dead dog on a hot
August day with uucp; for UUCP, PEP beats the Hayes by a country mile because
PEP spoofs UUCP, converting into a non-stop-and-wait protocol.

<<FLAME WARNING>>
Toby's articles generally have a low hype-to-information ratio but this one
seemed to be worded Just So.  I respect Toby a lot; surely someone cracked his
account and faked his article.  The Telebit PEP modems with UUCP spoofing have
proven themselves over and over and over; even the Energizer bunny rabbit is a
Johnny-come-lately compared to them.

If you want good UUCP performance over a regular dial-up phone line, you have
two choices: buy an non-Telebit modem and complain about lousy UUCP throughput,
or buy a Telebit and save money and headaches.  If you opt for the first alter-
rnative, you can buy an expensive Hayes modem, to support Toby's Usenet news
habit and get a modem which works quite well, or you can buy a cheapo modem
from a cheapo company and get a modem which may work well enough.  You'll curse
yourself later, whichever solution you pick, but at least with the cheapo modem
you haven't wasted as much money initially.

Or you can buy a Telebit, spend a few hours cursing the manual, and never worry
about UUCP performance and crummy phone lines again.  The Telebit will connect
on incredibly bad phone lines and spoof UUCP's send-and-wait protocol to get
the data through, quickly and without complaint, over and over and over.

No, I don't have stock in 'em; I do have Telebits.  Various other parts of the
systems I fiddle with die, burn out, fail, go bonkers, eat the big one, and
join that great Computer Center in the Sky; my Telebits just keep on working.

Now if Hayes would like to get on the wagon instead of trying to tip it over...
<<FLAME OFF>>

                                               David Schachter
voice phone: +1 415 328 7425
internet:    david@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us
uucp:        ...!{decwrl,mips,sgi}!llustig!david
--

em@dce.ie (Eamonn McManus) (03/06/91)

gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:
>I have been evaluating Hayes Smartmodem 9600 V.42 modems, and have had some
>interesting results.  Going UUCP, the modems connect at 9600, and have their
>distinctive connect tones, but the best throughput on the line has been 311
>characters per second (for a 121 K file).
>	"I know how it works....That's why I don't like it"
>		-- Chip Salzenberg on SCO "UNIX" C2 Security Package

It's worth noting that there is a bug in at least some SCO Unix systems
(e.g., the one we have) that causes uucico to report a throughput that is
half the real figure, in its log files.  So if you did not try timing it
yourself, do so; you may find that the throughput is really 622 cps which
is at least somewhat more reasonable.  You should be able to get at least
800 cps on a good connection with otherwise idle machines, though.

UUCP is a windowed protocol, so its throughput will be impaired if you are
using a modem that only transmits in one direction at a time.  I believe
the Hayes Smartmodem 9600 has this property.

,
Eamonn

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.093318.2146@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us>,
david@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us (David Schachter) writes:

> In article <3827.27d24b3a@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
>
> for UUCP, PEP beats the Hayes by a country mile because
> PEP spoofs UUCP, converting into a non-stop-and-wait protocol.

PEP doesn't spoof UUCP.  Spoofing is not a function of PEP, but it
is a higher-layer function of Telebit modems.  Now, I know this may
be splitting hairs, but my original discussion was regarding the
modulation schemes and associated low-level functions themselves,
not higher-level functions specialized for particular DTE
interfaces.  Spoofing could be added to the VSM9600, too, but we
prefer (now) to channel people who use stop-and-wait protocols to a
full-duplex modem instead.

> <<FLAME WARNING>>
> Toby's articles generally have a low hype-to-information ratio but this one
> seemed to be worded Just So.  I respect Toby a lot; surely someone cracked his
> account and faked his article.

If that's as hot as your flames get, them I'll just bask in the
gentle warmth.  I appreciate your noticing that I try to keep the
hype to a minimum (and usually apologize in advance when I don't!).

And the article was written by me, thank you.  I'm always careful to
word things "Just So", as you put it, to avoid the wrath of Hayes'
PR department.

> If you want good UUCP performance over a regular dial-up phone line, you have
> two choices: buy an non-Telebit modem and complain about lousy UUCP throughput,
> or buy a Telebit and save money and headaches.

I strongly disagree.  A full-duplex modem such as V.32 or V.32bis is
going to give you great UUCP performance; I'd even propose that a
V.32bis modem might give better performance than PEP.  The only
benefit of PEP is smaller increments of data rate fallback on bad
lines.  Other than this, Telebit has not been able to demonstrate
objectively in a contribution to a standards committee that
multicarrier modulation has any significant benefit over single
carrier on the same quality phone line.

> Now if Hayes would like to get on the wagon instead of trying to
> tip it over...

Which wagon are you speaking of, specifically?  I think the industry
as a whole had a problem until recently with every company
supporting a different modulation scheme until V.32 modems could be
produced and sold at a price acceptable to owners of small systems.
Hayes is now on the V.32 bandwagon, as are Telebit, USR, Microcom,
and basically ever other modem company of any significance.  What
can possibly be gained by Hayes, or any company other than Telebit,
trying to build a multicarrier modem, unless it becomes a standard?
It just might, but until it does, it would make about as much sense
as Hayes building HST modems, or Telebit building V-series ping-pong
modems.

--

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (03/06/91)

david@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us (David Schachter) writes:

>If you want good UUCP performance over a regular dial-up phone line, you have
>two choices: buy an non-Telebit modem and complain about lousy UUCP throughput,
>or buy a Telebit and save money and headaches.  If you opt for the first alter-
>rnative, you can buy an expensive Hayes modem, to support Toby's Usenet news
>habit and get a modem which works quite well, or you can buy a cheapo modem
>from a cheapo company and get a modem which may work well enough.  You'll curse
>yourself later, whichever solution you pick, but at least with the cheapo modem
>you haven't wasted as much money initially.

>Or you can buy a Telebit, spend a few hours cursing the manual, and never worry
>about UUCP performance and crummy phone lines again.  The Telebit will connect
>on incredibly bad phone lines and spoof UUCP's send-and-wait protocol to get
>the data through, quickly and without complaint, over and over and over.

We have multiple Telebits here on nstar.rn.com, and I agree - they keep on
working - and provide excellent throughput -

but on the other hand - we also have USR dual standard modems - and they
also keep on working

HST - HST uucp through is the pits (350 cps at best) - while the V.32 to
V.32 uucp runs right at 900 cps.  V.32 - V.32 using v.342bis runs around
1400 cps - just as fast as the Telebits - but the Telebits hold noisy lines
better (we all know that) -

--

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar5.093318.2146@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us>, david@llustig.palo-alto.ca.us (David Schachter) writes:
> In article <3827.27d24b3a@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
>>Like any other error-control modem, the VSM9600 performs best with a
>>protocol that doesn't stop and wait for acknowledgements after every
                                                                 ^^^^^
>>frame.  I'm not familiar enough with UUCP to suggest what settings
>>or alternatives you might have to consider to make it work better.
>>The VSM9600 generally works better than PEP with stop-and-wait
>>protocols because its turnaround time is so much faster, but there
>>will nevertheless be some degradation from optimum.
>
> Toby is being a bit disingenuous here.  His "The VSM9600 generally works better
> than PEP with stop-and-wait protocols" is true for non-spoofed protocols.  The
> original interrogative was why the Hayes modem runs like a dead dog on a hot
> August day with uucp; for UUCP, PEP beats the Hayes by a country mile because
> PEP spoofs UUCP, converting into a non-stop-and-wait protocol.

Wait a second.  Uucp is NOT a stop-and-wait protocol by this definition (note
the highlighted word "every" above).  A stop-and-wait protocol has a transmit
window size of one; standard uucps have a transmit window size of three
64-character packets.  If you get the acks back quickly enough, uucp will
transmit continuously (within each file, anyway).

Now, uucp at 3x64 effectively *becomes* "stop and wait" on high-speed links
with long end-to-end delays (even in the absence of turnaround delays), but
many uucps can be set to use a window of up to seven 4K packets, which should
give enough time for an ACK to come back for the first packet before the
seventh is sent even on VERY high speed, long-delay links.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
uucp protocol guru, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] Working Group, US DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/10/91)

Eamonn McManus (em@dce.ie ) wrote:

>       "I know how it works....That's why I don't like it"
>               -- Chip Salzenberg on SCO "UNIX" C2 Security Package

 >It's worth noting that there is a bug in at least some SCO
 >Unix systems (e.g., the one we have) that causes uucico to report a
 >throughput that is half the real figure, in its log files.

   SCO uucico throughput reports have *always* been suspect in my books.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/11/91)

In article <scour@dce.ie>, em@dce.ie (Eamonn McManus) writes:

> UUCP is a windowed protocol, so its throughput will be impaired if you are
> using a modem that only transmits in one direction at a time.  I believe
> the Hayes Smartmodem 9600 has this property.

The "Hayes Smartmodem 9600" is a V.32 modem.  I'm sure you're
referring to the "V-series Smartmodem 9600", which uses a
proprietary half-duplex ping-pong modulation scheme.  The "V-series
ULTRA Smartmodem 9600" (Ultra 96) supports both V.32 and the
proprietary scheme.

--

garyc@dbase.A-T.COM (Gary Carter) (03/19/91)

In article <3829.27d4d360@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

>> If you want good UUCP performance over a regular dial-up phone line, you have
>> two choices: buy an non-Telebit modem and complain about lousy UUCP throughput,
>> or buy a Telebit and save money and headaches.
>
>I strongly disagree.  A full-duplex modem such as V.32 or V.32bis is
>going to give you great UUCP performance; I'd even propose that a
>V.32bis modem might give better performance than PEP.  The only
>benefit of PEP is smaller increments of data rate fallback on bad
>lines.  Other than this, Telebit has not been able to demonstrate

The only benefit of PEP???

I have some small experience with PEP and V.32.  Calling around Silicon
Valley using a T2500 and a Microcom QX/V.32, occasionally I can't get
a V.32 connection; other times, my V.32 connection will hang up after
some length of time.  Most of the time, it works great, and is much nicer
than PEP for interactive use (such a running a text editor on the remote
computer) - except for those unpredictable dropouts.

But in my experience PEP NEVER FAILS TO CONNECT, and once connected,
PEP NEVER DROPS OUT.  It is totally reliable, industrial strength, a
year-in year-out proven workhorse.  Even for interactive edits, if the
job is a small one, I will log in using PEP rather than V.32, in spite
of the sluggish turnaround time, because of the absolute certainty that
it will just work the first time.  And for file transfers, I always use
PEP.

As for V.32, on the other hand, I simply cannot say the same.  It is
great, I use it a lot, but 99% just isn't quite the same as 100.0000.

PEP may be proprietary, and Telebit may show a lack of "pep" with the
standards committees, but that should not color an objective assessment
of its virtues.

__
garyc@dbase

jeff@markets.amix.com (Jeff Crilly N6ZFX) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar18.211318.22290@dbase.A-T.COM> garyc@dbase.UUCP (Gary Carter) writes:

> [Stuff deleted...]
>
>I have some small experience with PEP and V.32.  Calling around Silicon
>Valley using a T2500 and a Microcom QX/V.32, occasionally I can't get
>a V.32 connection; other times, my V.32 connection will hang up after
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>some length of time.  Most of the time, it works great, and is much nicer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>than PEP for interactive use (such a running a text editor on the remote
>computer) - except for those unpredictable dropouts.
>
>But in my experience PEP NEVER FAILS TO CONNECT, and once connected,
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>PEP NEVER DROPS OUT.  It is totally reliable, industrial strength, a
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>year-in year-out proven workhorse.  Even for interactive edits, if the
>job is a small one, I will log in using PEP rather than V.32, in spite
>of the sluggish turnaround time, because of the absolute certainty that
>it will just work the first time.  And for file transfers, I always use
>PEP.

We have a handful of USR Dual standards and Telebit T2500s.  A few weeks
ago we had a power supply go out in a T2500.  While it was at the factory
I gave a USR dual standard to the guy who was using the 2500 (at his house).
He found that the USR would connect, but then hang up after a while.
The modem at the other end was a telebit T2500.  It was really annoying.
During some testing (of yet another problem with the USR) I found that
sometimes when the T2500 calls the USR the link will drop after some time.
The USR ati7 says the reason was Link Disconnect Received.  Anyhow after
upgrading the USR to 9/29/89 roms, the problem went away.

My point is that there are lots of V.32 mfrs whose modems might have bugs.
When you connect V.32, you are not neccessarily connecting to another
telebit V.32.  (Calling around Silicon Valley, [BBSs I take it?] you are
probably getting USRobotics modems at the other end.)   Also, I would
find it rare if some mfr had this kind of problem with their modems at
*both* ends.

When you connect PEP, there is always a telebit at the other end.  Telebit
has the luxury of not having to worry about compatibilty issues with
other mfrs modems.  The same argument can be made for HST.

Jeff Crilly (N6ZFX)
AMIX Corporation  2345 Yale Street  Palo Alto, CA  94306
jeff@markets.amix.com, {uunet,sun}!markets!jeff, N6ZFX@N6IIU.#NOCAL.CA.USA

In article <1991Apr2.193534.5056@markets.amix.com> jeff@markets.amix.com (Jeff Crilly N6ZFX) writes:

>Anyhow after
>upgrading the USR to 9/29/89 roms, the problem went away.
		      ^^^^^^^
I should've said 2/26/90 roms.  9/29/89 is what was in there previously.
Sorry for any inconvience.