[comp.dcom.modems] V.32bis upgrade for Telebit T2500??

sscott@fwhnm02.fwrdc.rtsg.mot.com (Steve Scott) (04/03/91)

Does anyone know if Telebit has a V.32bis upgrade for the T2500 modem?
If yes what is the price?  If no, any idea when (if at all) will be
available :) ?

| Steve Scott                                | Internet: sscott@mot.com        |
| Fort Worth Research and Development Center | UUCP:     csccat!camdev!sscott  |
| Cellular Infrastructure Group              | Internal: TX14/1D               |
| Radio Telephone Systems Group              | Voice:    (817) 232-6317        |
| Motorola, Inc.                             | Fax:      (817) 232-6081        |
|               The opinions contained herein are STRICTLY my own              |

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr03.034509.1522@fwhnm02.fwrdc.rtsg.mot.com> sscott@fwhnm02.fwrdc.rtsg.mot.com (Steve Scott) writes:

>Does anyone know if Telebit has a V.32bis upgrade for the T2500 modem?
>If yes what is the price?  If no, any idea when (if at all) will be
>available :) ?

Telebit doesn't yet have any modems that support V.32bis.  The T2500
cannot support V.32bis - it just doesn't have the processor power for
either the faster modulation or the faster RS232 speed a V.32bis modem
should have.  Therefore a simple firmware swap isn't in the cards.

No announcement has been made about upgrades to V.32bis modems (because
none are available yet).

--
.------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |

flog@bernina.ethz.ch (Florian Gutzwiller) (04/05/91)

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:

>No announcement has been made about upgrades to V.32bis modems (because
>none are available yet).

According to modems@telebit.com, a new model supporting V.32bis
will be available within this year. It is unclear if that device will
also include a improved version of PEP or not. But I strongly suggest
it will, since with V32bis you have 14KBps (without compression) what
makes current PEP _NEARLY_ useless. Telebit will offer upgrade paths.

Yet another mistery is whether Telebit cares about FAX. Prometheus
does already have V32bis with FAX for $699 and they will implement
EIA TR-29.2 (a standard for fax modem commands) within this summer.

-Florian

A satisfied T1600, T2500 and TB+ user that wants nothing but speed
from nobody else than Telebit.

PS: what about primary rate ISDN for the NetBlazer ?

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.175208.18062@bernina.ethz.ch> flog@bernina.ethz.ch (Florian Gutzwiller) writes:
>gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:
>
>>No announcement has been made about upgrades to V.32bis modems (because
>>                                    ^^^^^^^^
>>none are available yet).
>
>According to modems@telebit.com, a new model supporting V.32bis
>will be available within this year.

See the highlighting above.  I didn't say anything different from
modems@telebit.com.  He mentioned a new modem (as I did) -- I was
talking about **upgrades** from the T2500 to that new modem.

>                                    It is unclear if that device will
>also include a improved version of PEP or not. But I strongly suggest
>it will, since with V32bis you have 14KBps (without compression) what
>makes current PEP _NEARLY_ useless. Telebit will offer upgrade paths.

Yes, Telebit will offer upgrade paths, but no announcements have been
made yet (as I said).  PEP would be "_NEARLY_" useless over clean lines.
Our friends in parts of the world where lines aren't so clean may not
agree with your assessment of the superiority of V.32bis over PEP.
Even over an un-improved PEP.

>Yet another mistery is whether Telebit cares about FAX. Prometheus
>does already have V32bis with FAX for $699 and they will implement
>EIA TR-29.2 (a standard for fax modem commands) within this summer.

I've asked the sales folks about demand for fax capability in Telebit
modems.  They have heard barely a whisper from customers on the subject.
Same for Caller ID support.  Not enough to commit engineering resources
to develop them.

If you want a company to build in support for a feature, you have to
inform them that you, a paying customer, want it.  Otherwise, the
company can't justify the development costs if they don't think the
feature will sell modems.

>PS: what about primary rate ISDN for the NetBlazer ?

Since I'm a modem guy, I couldn't even begin to guess about ISDN support.
A call to your friendly neighborhood Telebit sales office can register
your desire for something like that...

--