[comp.dcom.modems] Data range used by UUCICO?

garyb@abekrd.co.uk (Gary Bartlett) (03/22/91)

Can anyone tell me the range of data values sent by two communicating UUCICO
processes.  Is it a full 8-bit range (0-255), a full 7-bit range (0-127) or
a selected range of characters (eg 32-126)?

I am most interested in finding out whether it uses the ASCII values for DC1/3.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary C. Bartlett               NET: Gary.Bartlett@abekrd.co.uk
Abekas Video Systems Ltd.     UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!abekrd!Gary.Bartlett
12 Portman Rd,   Reading,    PHONE: +44 734 585421
Berkshire.       RG3 1EA.      FAX: +44 734 567904
United Kingdom.              TELEX: 847579

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.102630.1057@abekrd.co.uk> garyb@abekrd.co.uk (Gary Bartlett) writes:
>Can anyone tell me the range of data values sent by two communicating UUCICO
>processes.  Is it a full 8-bit range (0-255), a full 7-bit range (0-127) or
>a selected range of characters (eg 32-126)?
>
>I am most interested in finding out whether it uses the ASCII values for DC1/3.

The 'g' protocol would pass an XOFF (DC3) as part of the packet header
whenever it sends a negative acknowlegement (NAK) for packet number 3
(in the rotation of packet numbers from 0 to 7).  It would send an XON
(DC1) when sending a NAK for packet number 1.

Almost as important, it would send an XOFF with the 8th bit set when
sending a data packet numbered 2, and the last data packet the sender
had received was numbered 3.  It would send an XON as part of the
header when sending a data packet numbered 2 when the last packet it
had received was number 1.

Every data packet is signalled by a control byte in the header that
has its 8th bit set.  Therefore, bytes above decimal 127 will appear
in the data stream.

Uucp 'g' does not 'escape' any characters that appear in the file
data.  If the file contains bytes corresponding to XON or XOFF,
they will be passed as-is through the modems.  If the file has been
compressed, it's almost guaranteed to have bytes above decmal 127
and below decimal 32.

In short, for the 'g' protocol, you need an 8-bit wide data path, and
nothing between the sending computer and receiving computer must try
to interpret any data bytes.  If you're using high-speed modems, they
must NOT be set to use XON/XOFF flow control.  Any other devices in the
data path must be completely transparent to data.

--
.------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.102630.1057@abekrd.co.uk> garyb@abekrd.co.uk (Gary Bartlett) writes:
>Can anyone tell me the range of data values sent by two communicating UUCICO
>processes.  Is it a full 8-bit range (0-255), a full 7-bit range (0-127) or
>a selected range of characters (eg 32-126)?
>
>I am most interested in finding out whether it uses the ASCII values for DC1/3.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gary
>Gary C. Bartlett               NET: Gary.Bartlett@abekrd.co.uk
>Abekas Video Systems Ltd.     UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!abekrd!Gary.Bartlett
>12 Portman Rd,   Reading,    PHONE: +44 734 585421
>Berkshire.       RG3 1EA.      FAX: +44 734 567904
>United Kingdom.              TELEX: 847579

UUCP uses an 8 bit protocol.  If it didn't how could you copy a binary
and run it?

Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com

fenner@jazz.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar24.195246.11250@jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
|UUCP uses an 8 bit protocol.  If it didn't how could you copy a binary
|and run it?

I dunno.  How can you copy a binary using Kermit and run that?  Kermit uses
a 7 bit protocol (if you ask it to.)

The UUCP g protocol requires an 8-bit datapath.  There exist other UUCP
protocols which do not require an 8-bit data path (i.e. the f protocol).
--
Bill Fenner     fenner@jazz.psu.edu     ..psuvax1!hogbbs!wcfpc!wcf
                wcf@hogbbs.scol.pa.us   (+1 814 238-9633 2400MNP5)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/26/91)

Jim Deitch (jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com ) wrote:

 >UUCP uses an 8 bit protocol.  If it didn't how could you
 >copy a binary and run it?

   PLEASE don't tell me that you can't imagine being able to transmit a
binary, intact, over a 7-bit connection... it's done frequently, using what
might be described as a variation of the technique we use to transmit
binaries over the 1-bit connections we call serial ports!

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (03/26/91)

garyb@abekrd.co.uk (Gary Bartlett) writes:

>Can anyone tell me the range of data values sent by two communicating UUCICO
>processes.  Is it a full 8-bit range (0-255), a full 7-bit range (0-127) or
>a selected range of characters (eg 32-126)?

The g and t protocols use all eight bits. Presumably e and x do so as well,
although you shouldn't really use them ...

>I am most interested in finding out whether it uses the ASCII values for DC1/3.

The default (g) protocol does. This is a problem when running over X.25
through a PAD, thus was born the f protocol. Essentially it encodes
non-printable characters into printable ones, and it explicitly wants
XON/XOFF flow control.

--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
           atha!cs.athabascau.ca!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (03/26/91)

In <1991Mar22.102630.1057@abekrd.co.uk> garyb@abekrd.co.uk (Gary Bartlett) writes:

>I am most interested in finding out whether it uses the ASCII values for DC1/3.

     Also commonly known as XOFF and XON....

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (03/27/91)

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:

>UUCP uses an 8 bit protocol.  If it didn't how could you copy a binary
>and run it?

Maybe by encoding the 8 bits into 7? Kermit can be configured to use only
printable ASCII characters and it has no problem shoveling eight bit data
around either ...

--

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar22.102630.1057@abekrd.co.uk> garyb@abekrd.co.uk (Gary Bartlett) writes:
> Can anyone tell me the range of data values sent by two communicating UUCICO
> processes.  Is it a full 8-bit range (0-255), a full 7-bit range (0-127) or
> a selected range of characters (eg 32-126)?

It depends upon which protocol is in use by uucico.  There are several
protocols, and some are 7-bit clean (eg. 'f').

> I am most interested in finding out whether it uses the ASCII values for DC1/3.

I know for certain that 'f' protocol shouldn't but 'g' protocol can.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (03/29/91)

fenner@jazz.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:

>The UUCP g protocol requires an 8-bit datapath.  There exist other UUCP
>protocols which do not require an 8-bit data path (i.e. the f protocol).

Huh?  I thought that the f protocol merely assumed an error-free connection
and said nothing about reducing the number of bit per byte, i.e., it is
still 8-bit.

derek
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG -- U of MN Women's Lax
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.072005.7867@hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
>fenner@jazz.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
>
>>The UUCP g protocol requires an 8-bit datapath.  There exist other UUCP
>>protocols which do not require an 8-bit data path (i.e. the f protocol).
>
>Huh?  I thought that the f protocol merely assumed an error-free connection
>and said nothing about reducing the number of bit per byte, i.e., it is
>still 8-bit.
>
>derek

Here is the lines from fio.c :

/* $Header: fio.c,v 1.20 85/04/30 12:57:32 rick Exp $ */
/*	%M%	%I%	%E%	(Mathematisch Centrum)	*/

/*
 * flow control protocol.
 *
 * This protocol relies on flow control of the data stream.
 * It is meant for working over links that can (almost) be
 * guaranteed to be errorfree, specifically X.25/PAD links.
 * A sumcheck is carried out over a whole file only. If a
 * transport fails the receiver can request retransmission(s).
 * This protocol uses a 7-bit datapath only, so it can be
 * used on links that are not 8-bit transparent.
 *
 * When using this protocol with an X.25 PAD:
 * Although this protocol uses no control chars except CR,
 * control chars NULL and ^P are used before this protocol
 * is started; since ^P is the default char for accessing
 * PAD X.28 command mode, be sure to disable that access
 * (PAD par 1). Also make sure both flow control pars
 * (5 and 12) are set. The CR used in this proto is meant
 * to trigger packet transmission, hence par 3 should be
 * set to 2; a good value for the Idle Timer (par 4) is 10.
 * All other pars should be set to 0.
 * Normally a calling site will take care of setting the
 * local PAD pars via an X.28 command and those of the remote
 * PAD via an X.29 command, unless the remote site has a
 * special channel assigned for this protocol with the proper
 * par settings.
 *
 * Author: Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam, Sep 1984
 */

....A bunch of lines deleted....

/* Byte conversion:
 *
 *   from        pre       to
 * 000-037       172     100-137
 * 040-171               040-171
 * 172-177       173     072-077
 * 200-237       174     100-137
 * 240-371       175     040-171
 * 372-377       176     072-077
 */

...A bunch more deleted.....

So as you can see everything BEFORE 040 and after 171 is "quoted" by a
special character.  The reason the characters below 32 are changed is
because some X.25 pads will think they are control codes for it and
act on them, instead of just realizing they are a part of the data
stream.  The reason >171 is modified is because generaly X.25 is a 7
bit even parity environment.

Jim

--

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/06/91)

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:

>Huh?  I thought that the f protocol merely assumed an error-free connection
>and said nothing about reducing the number of bit per byte, i.e., it is
>still 8-bit.

Then you thought wrong. f is designed to work through PAD's, which don't
usually have the capability of being fully eight bit transparent. So, the
datga gets translated into a printable ASCII character if it isn't one
already. Read the source ...